spark plug replacement

Daakk85

Hey everyone!

this is my first post since joining so thanks for having me but I'm already in need of help.

I recently picked up a 2003 1.6fsi

I have what feels like lumpy idle and what feels like low power in the lower rev range ( no warning lights ).

I'm no master mechanic so I thought basics is fuel, air, and spark.

I've replaced the filter and have 4 new pugs but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the coil packs out without breaking things :(

can anyone help? thanks in advance

Hey everyone!

this is my first post since joining so thanks for having me but I'm already in need of help.

I recently picked up a 2003 1.6fsi

I have what feels like lumpy idle and what feels like low power in the lower rev range ( no warning lights ).

I'm no master mechanic so I thought basics is fuel, air, and spark.

I've replaced the filter and have 4 new pugs but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the coil packs out without breaking things :(

can anyone help? thanks in advance
Like others, I bought a tool for the job. Search eBay with something like "VW coil pack removal tool" will give you choices.

Get the car scanned, several members near you.

When you insert and turn the key in the ignition (before actually trying to start the engine) and the dash lights come on, is there a yellow eml light?

Welcome by the way.

Andy

Last edited:
Thank you for the tip and the welcome Andy :)

EML as in the engine symbol? if yes then yes its a solid light which disappears when the car is started

Han

I had the same, lumpy tickover, on mine when I got it. My local indie advice was "always use Super Unleaded (Shell Nitro, same as my Mk1 TT) and add Wurth fuel additive. The improvement, with a full tank of Mr Shell's 99 octane and the Wurth elixir, was almost instant. Mac.
125225.jpg

Thank you for the tip and the welcome Andy :)

EML as in the engine symbol? if yes then yes its a solid light which disappears when the car is started

Han
Yes I was meaning the yellow engine symbol (EML). The fact it shows and goes away quickly at startup is good and means nothing serious is wrong with the engine. but I would still get a scan. So many of the FSIs that are sold have the EML masked out (taped over or the light pulled out) to hide faults, I was just checking.

Take the advice on 99 octane petrol and injector cleaner, Tesco Momentum is another option, and review if things have improved in a couple of weeks.

Andy

Back