Speedo not working.

Our speedo has just packed up, don't know how fast we're going and not recording miles - where is the sensor situated for it? Anyone got a picture?

Cheers. ?

If I remember correctly the earlier cars speedo is from the gearbox and the later ones from the ABS sensor. Not got access to manuals currently to check exactly where the sensors are and at what point they changed over. You have checked all the usual electrical issues, low battery, poor earths, old battery etc?

If I remember correctly the earlier cars speedo is from the gearbox and the later ones from the ABS sensor. Not got access to manuals currently to check exactly where the sensors are and at what point they changed over. You have checked all the usual electrical issues, low battery, poor earths, old battery etc?

Battery is great, replaced new just before we bought it, everything is working but ABS light comes on. Ours is registered 23 / 11 / 02

You have found the fault the ABS sensor feeds the speedo. Have the car scanned using VCDS, that will tell more about ABS fault.

C
You have found the fault the ABS sensor feeds the speedo. Have the car scanned using VCDS, that will tell more about ABS fault.
Colour diss says right hand side front. I suspect a wire is broken, will have to take the wheel of and have a look now. So does this mean my car is the later type, as apposed to the earlier type where the speedo take of was from gearbox? Or is that vise versa?

Can never be 100% sure but change over I believe was mid 2002, so yes you "should" have ABS driven and not gearbox. ( Colour DIS - that is just showing off :p) later cars use the ABS sensor. .Just because the warning is saying right hand front does not always mean a broken or loose wire/plug. It could be the connector is damaged or the ABS sensor is damaged, also check the inductor ring to see if there is a build up of grease or rust. Can even be a wheel bearing issue.

I'd know if it was a wheel bearing - no noise at all from it. Its clean under there or at least it was? I'm leaning towards something very simple like your suggestion the connector being loose or not even connected anymore / broken. Had the Shocks and top mounts replaced last year so it could be "something was disturbed" ? when they were in there.? Going to have to look at it now!

Good to hear i have the later speedo abs driven, means easier 6 speed gearbox like the one in the new members thread i saw earlier.Cheers Audifan.

Look an the top back area of the gearbox on the diff housing
There will be a sensor screwed into the top of the housing with a wire and connector going to it on the earlier cars
I think on the latter cars there is a blanking plug in place of the speedo drive
From memory the earlier cars with the speedo drive have a abs unit known as 20
The latter cars have a abs unit known as 60

I think from your car age you will have the abs 60 and no gearbox speedo drive thus making your choices of 6 speed gearbox numerous

Cheers. Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2002 tdi has the mk60 abs and last time i looked had no speedo drive in gearbox and mines a mid 2002 with metal canister fuel filter and webasto heater, will have to unplug n/s/f abs sensor and report findings

Look an the top back area of the gearbox on the diff housing
There will be a sensor screwed into the top of the housing with a wire and connector going to it on the earlier cars
I think on the latter cars there is a blanking plug in place of the speedo drive
From memory the earlier cars with the speedo drive have a abs unit known as 20
The latter cars have a abs unit known as 60

I think from your car age you will have the abs 60 and no gearbox speedo drive thus making your choices of 6 speed gearbox numerous

Cheers. Paul

I'll do that tomorrow and report back - thanks for the info! ?

Yes you do and ABS speedo. The third digit is model year, so 4 = 2004
Isn't the model year code the nth year of production rather than year 2000+n? That would make it 2002, which suggests that Mark's car, when registered in November 2002 -- after the 2003 model year had been released -- was a late registration of stock dating from the previous model year.

EDIT - see my post below.

Last edited:
I think you are correct not calendar year.

Before I posted above, I should have done what I did just now, and checked the logbooks for the three of mine. I have 2002, 2003 and 2004 model years and the 10th digits of the VIN are 2,3 and 4 respectively :oops:

So, as you were, it's the 200n model year not model year n of production.

VIN digit 10 is the production year CODE and not the calandar year last digit, the problem is for most of our A2's it can be correctly interpreted that way, an accident really. Why? Starting in 1980 the production code year was the letter A and by the the time the first A2 was born the alphabet was nearing its end, in 1999 the letter was X. This progressed to Y in calendar year 2000, note not 0! As is common in coding systems some characters are left out as they cause confusion, for example I being taken as 1 and relevance likewise 0 and Z were banned and thus the next production year up was 1 which by pure accident put it in sync with the the last digit of the calendar year in 2001 and for the rest of our A2s!!!. To muddy the waters further I have a memory of reading the production year does not start on January 1st, but mid year, and not always the same, meaning a production year stretches across two calandar years.

To regain sanity just look at the build date on the white options sticker, it has the month as well!

Andy

Last edited:
Meanwhile getting back on track,..............this should have appeared yesterday afternoon but for some reason uploading pics form the iPhone to iMac isn't working properly. As mentioned earlier this was one of those easy ones to rectify, at least temporarily until something new is sourced or the soldering iron comes out with some heat shrink tube.

Once the wheel was taken off and abs loom came into view all became clear! Yes i suspect it's happening to a few of you out there without you realising. I've heard of people having to change their abs looms, well this is what mine looked like.

49877135717_0d82817565_b.jpg

At first i couldn't think what had caused it then it dawned on me, look at the tyre wheel protecter on the inner part of the wheel. Its only eating away at the loom on full lock. you can clearly see the rim protecter rubbing that has been going on. There's also be the slightest of kisses, you cannot hear anything inside the car, of the tyre touching the chassis. Nothing wrong with the tyre size it's bob on. I can only think it's a squarer shoulder to many other tyres out there.

49876294703_0c9c6cb24d_b.jpg

Had to cut the abs loom, splice back the Brown and Grey (2 wires) back so the two halves of each could be twisted together
and isolated from each other with electrical tape. We now have a perfectly working speedo, but the abs light is still on which i don't see codes for.

The cars most definitely a late 2002 with code 8Z - 4. Nice sweet spot for leather equipped cars as you still get suede leather on the seat inner edges where they join for the folding rear seats which became cloth on later cars.

49876834906_be275ab11d_b.jpg

It should have logged and abs error code which being safety related will not clear on its own

Paul

Back