Speedometer scale uhum..?

Joga

A2OC Donor
What mindtracks were the engineers in Ingolstadt following when they decided on the scale of the A2 speedometer?
Firstly the metric one
Screenshot_20200222-222409.png

And the imperial (?)
Screenshot_20200222-223052.png

The metric one seems more progressive?

The metric one must be a spoof, it's missing the 90km/h and the whole scale is different in the right-hand half. Two photos spliced together I'd say.

The metric one must be a spoof, it's missing the 90km/h and the whole scale is different in the right-hand half. Two photos spliced together I'd say.

No spoof, it's undoubtedly genuine. Here's a link to another example:

I stand corrected - never knew they did that. I'd never even considered a non-linear speedo (actually this one is bi-linear, the needle moves at a different but constant rate in each half).

There are quite a lot of cars that do that as it makes for easier reading at lower speeds having wider graduations.

Another odd one (IMHO) is BMW’s new digital cluster where denominations go up in increments of 20mph, then 40mph, then 60mph. Personally I don’t get that rationale I would prefer a clear and consistent speedo. Not being round too is also not easy however they’ve put the actual speed in digits which then renders the speedo a bit redundant.

I could make a generalist comment about BMW drivers at this point and not even watching their speed, I will have to caveat that it’s not all BMW drivers though. ?

F864B7B4-D74D-45C4-85FC-386146CD19C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Clearly it’s just the european Km/h scale as the MPH speedo doesn’t have this.

How is the needle yellow or is this just the angle/flash/camera or even the picture just on my phone?

I wonder why they didnt do it the same way for all markets? Are Uk market expecting full linear ones from history?

I wonder why they didnt do it the same way for all markets? Are Uk market expecting full linear ones from history?
I'm not sure. Both systems have a top speed of 240km/h.
In the UK, the speed limit is 70mph, or 113km/h. As such, we only use the first 2/5ths of the range. The Central European clusters effectively 'zoom in' on the early part of the scale, and then 'zoom out' on the latter part of the scale. The result is that Central European clusters show greater resolution at lower speeds, which makes sense, and a greater percentage of the total range is used.

Maybe maths lessons in UK schools are so basic that Audi concluded a bi-linear scale would fry our tiny minds? :p

Cheers,

Tom

Back