Spike aka Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren C

Admin Team
Many of you will have seen the news that our stalwart member and legend of A2OC Graham was taken ill recently, and some of you will have contributed to the get well soon messages on this thread.

It is with a heavy heart that I make this announcement. Graham fought his illness bravely, but he sadly passed away during the night on Friday.

I'm certain that all members of this familial club will join myself and the fellow admin team in sending our deepest condolences to Graham's wife Janet and to their wider circle of family and friends.

Graham bought his A2 new in 2001. As an experienced engineer, he fell in love with it's innovative construct and design ethos. He joined A2OC shortly afterwards on 9th September 2002. During almost two decades of active contribution, Graham never failed to amaze with his ability to recall historic posts, always adding a warmth and clear helpful direction to those in need. It was always evident to see the type of man Graham was through his narrative writing style, kind, sincere, a gentleman. In addition to being a valued member, Graham also served in the admin team for a spell, serving the interests of this great community and adding his experience, considered views and kindness to the mix. His mantra was always "if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing" - we could and should all learn from that and live all the better for it.

There will be a void felt by us all on these pages as there will be in life. However, Graham's encyclopaedic mind, helpful posts, detailed engineering knowledge, and humour, will live on indefinitely in the history of A2OC and in the minds of those who met him.

Rest in peace dear friend and gentleman of the very highest standing. 😢

Spike.jpg

A very fitting tribute Darren. Having met Graham for the first time last year, I was immediately struck by how warm, kind and friendly he was. I would have been completely lost organising the Broaches Farm social last year, without his help and was really looking forward to seeing him again this year.
My thoughts are with Janet, an equally warm and lovely lady (who also makes the most fabulous biscuits) and all of their friends.
Graham will be hugely missed and I feel honoured to have met ad spent time in his wonderful company.

Such sad news for us as a club. I always enjoyed Spike's input; it will be missed.
However, for Graham's wife and family, the loss will be immeasurable; my thoughts are with them. They should know that his memory will live on amongst us.

Very very sad news, I will find it difficult to accept that Graham has left us, there has always been one thing I wanted to do on the club, it was to meet Graham one day.
As I never managed to meet him, I commented to Murdo at times that he must be an AI as he had this unbelievable way to extracting information in a matter of seconds and posting it, very accurately....never to be matched again.
My deepest condolences to Graham's wife Janet, family and friends.

A2OC will never be the same without you Graham!
Rest in Peace dearest friend.

I can't quite get my head round this. Thanks to DC for leading on the club tribute. I've made many close friends through this fine club and Graham perhaps one of the most unlikely. An intensely private man. Very happy in his own company or with his wife Jan. A treasure of a lady. Spike was at his happiest pottering around in his humongous garage and equally expansive garden. In a home he built with his own hands over many years as it was too expensive to buy one. A canny half Yorkshire man and half Scot. And you'll not be surprised to read that it's all beautifully engineered. He was a research and development engineer for Cummins Diesel engines. Known to his colleagues as 'the Olympic flame ' as he never went out!

Few will realise what a big deal it was when Graham began to attend socials, other than a trip to an early Audi Driver meet in 2005 ; it was 2017 or so before he came along to one of the 'Oop North' socials arranged by Hilary. Took some serious prodding from Jan too. And he really enjoyed it to his surprise..

My goodness he knew his onions about motors. Visiting with Timmus on occasion I'd just enjoy a coffee and listen because I'd no earthly clue what they were talking about .

I feel really blessed to have made friends with Graham and Jan. We visited them in Dalton several times. My 2 girls loved it there playing in the garden with their lovely dog Meeka. This is bloody devastating. Jan has lost her soul mate and husband of nearly 50 years. A2OC has lost one of its cornerstones. And I'm feeling bloody sorry for myself as I've lost a dear friend. I'll be going down to help Jan with Spikes stuff and his A2. That'll be tough. I'll keep the club updated on arrangements lest anyone wishes to pay their respects .

Goodbye my friend 😢

Such sad news, since joining the A2OC in 2004 I have read many posts by Spike, the lovely attitude of this club and its ethics has his stamp on it, he leaves an impressive legacy.

my thoughts with all his family and friends

RIP Spike

Spence

As Darren C states "a legend", a badge that is not earned easily. So sad to hear of his passing. Of the many posts I've made it was always reassuring to get a reply from Spike. RIP buddy, you will be greatly missed.

Not feeling 100% qualified to post in this thread as I have not had the possibility to meet club members incl Spike live I however want to say: how very sad. I appreciated spikes knowledge and attitude as perceived by his posts.

Alas I never met Spike, but perhaps one day will...

A cornerstone for his family and the A2 family and will be tremendously missed by all.

My condolences and thoughts are with the family.

R.I.P. Graham.

So sorry to hear this news.

My sincere condolences to his family and all who new him.

R.I.P. Spike

So sorry to hear of Graham's death.

I had the plesaure to meet both him and Jan at Broaches Farm last September. I am pleaaed that I had that opporrunity and shared in his knowledge.

R.I.P. Graham.

I only met Spike the once and we spent most of that time talking about camping equipment rather than A2's. Was really hoping to meet him again at this years Yorkshire get together, but sadly not. A genuinely nice bloke and sincere condolences to his family and close friends.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back