Squib advice

O07JESTER

Hi I need a new squib to clear a sporadic airbag fault n95.Ive been told that the part number is 1J0 959 654 AG for my car (TDI 90 ATL) however I've seen plenty of 1J0 959 654 AC Squibs stating they are from A2's.
Would anyone know if it's compatible?
I do know someone with garage equipment to code it to the car if it's necessary.
Cheers

Martin

The 1J0 959 654 AG part no is for clock spring unit/steering angle sensor...…...do you mean this when you say squib or do you mean the airbag itself?

The 1J0 959 654 AG part no is for clock spring unit/steering angle sensor...…...do you mean this when you say squib or do you mean the airbag itself?
It's for the clock spring unit,the airbag came on after a right turn.then after it was cleared it came back on after a full lock right turn.makes sense it's that and not the airbag.sorry for any misunderstanding I just thought that was a general part name

From a quick search the difference may be electronics for the ESP...…...I'd get the correct part no if possible.
Of course someone may have better info/updated pt no's, but i'm sure you'll agree as with all safety related items its always best to be on the safe side and not chancing on an airbag not deploying when you need it most.....

Hi Martin,

The Steering Angle Sensor is quite a robust part normally.
Has the steering wheel been removed for any reason (change of wheel or adding cruise, etc)?

The 1J0 959 654 AC part is not listed for the A2, it's listed as replacement for an A4 and A6, so it may not have the correct pinouts.

One of the dismantlers on here will likely have one, but should you get stuck I'm certain I have a spare, so feel free to drop me a private message.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi Martin,

The Steering Angle Sensor is quite a robust part normally.
Has the steering wheel been removed for any reason (change of wheel or adding cruise, etc)?

The 1J0 959 654 AC part is not listed for the A2, it's listed as replacement for an A4 and A6, so it may not have the correct pinouts.

One of the dismantlers on here will likely have one, but should you get stuck I'm certain I have a spare, so feel free to drop me a private message.

Cheers
Jeff
Hi Jeff the only change in the last two months was a swap with the airbag.it was swapped for a TT mk1.it was all ok until I did a right turn yesterday.A friend who owns a garage scanned the car and found a code N95.
He cleared the code and it stayed off until I had to do a full lock right turn to park for work.ive seen some parts listed as A2 but still showing the AC part number.This is what is confusing.
Cheers
Martin
1576871202810187191034.jpg

Hi Martin,

It seems the issue might be that the connector for the drivers airbag, which connects through the Steering Angle Sensor, has either become partially unplugged or perhaps it isn't an exact match for the new airbag.

High resistance suggests a disconnection, but it could also be that the airbag itself is faulty.
If you still have the original airbag you might want to swap it over and see if the fault clears.
Airbags have a lifespan, so if it's from an early MK1 TT it may well be faulty.

I'm in Northants, but a little way from you near Crick (M1 J18), however should you want to swap the airbag back to original I have some free time tomorrow and could fit you in if necessary.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi Jeff,I do still have the original airbag.it was on my mind to change it back to do a process of elimination.i might take you up on the offer as I'm in Kettering.i will have to see if I'm free as there seems to be a big day coming up next week.

Hi Martin,

No problem.

Did the TT airbag come with loom, or did you just buy the airbag "bare"?

Drop me a PM if you want the original refitted tomorrow and I'll make 30 mins free for you.

Cheers
Jeff

There was an occasion when I did a multifunction steering wheel (MFSW) upgrade that resulted in the airbag warning light coming on sporadically. The original steering wheel was refitted and the problem persisted. The issue turned out to be a dodgy connection within the slip ring that was probably exacerbated by me having to remove/reinstall it as part of the MFSW upgrade.
Jeff (@Mustang-owner) is correct that the slip rings are generally very robust components, but I have seen this precise scenario before.
@O07JESTER, I'd be inclined to accept Jeff's offer. The new slip ring will need marrying to the main brain of the ABS system, and Jeff is a known VCDS whiz (though I appreciate this may also be within your own set of skills). If Jeff has the necessary part, he's a friendly one-stop-shop to a fixed A2. :)

Cheers,

Tom

........... If Jeff has the necessary part, he's a friendly one-stop-shop to a fixed A2. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the kind words.
Merry Xmas to you, Jessica, Anna and the rest of your family.... (and the rest of A2OC of course).

I think Martin is going to try swapping out the Mk1 TT airbag for the original himself and see if that resolves his issues.
He had advised he'd pay me a visit, but his availability today might have meant I'd be working in reduced light, and not something I want to do when working on sensitive equipment like a drivers airbag.

I'm sure he knows he can drop me a message to arrange something in the future should he need to do so.

Cheers
Jeff

There was an occasion when I did a multifunction steering wheel (MFSW) upgrade that resulted in the airbag warning light coming on sporadically. The original steering wheel was refitted and the problem persisted. The issue turned out to be a dodgy connection within the slip ring that was probably exacerbated by me having to remove/reinstall it as part of the MFSW upgrade.
Jeff (@Mustang-owner) is correct that the slip rings are generally very robust components, but I have seen this precise scenario before.
@O07JESTER, I'd be inclined to accept Jeff's offer. The new slip ring will need marrying to the main brain of the ABS system, and Jeff is a known VCDS whiz (though I appreciate this may also be within your own set of skills). If Jeff has the necessary part, he's a friendly one-stop-shop to a fixed A2. :)

Cheers,

Tom
I couldn't agree more :) this forum is truly amazing and as helped in the past.i will try the original airbag and get the code cleared.It just seems more than a coincidence that the fault appeared twice after full lock right turn.So may yet be a flaw in the slip ring.The N95 code seems to be triggered by the airbag through the slip ring and even the connecter under the slip ring.A lot more info on this in VW forums.Just want my car fully operational as mot in January,then maybe for sale early spring.Not that I want it to go,I just need a bigger car.

Today my N95 airbag fault was fixed.It was the "squib" or slip ring that had failed.Had a replacement fitted and coded to my car.i looked at the original and it was fairly obvious it wasn't healthy.If you rotated the slip ring it felt "gritty" and you could hear a noise that sounded like sand was in the mechanism.Even better my car passed mot today too.Probably looking to sell in a couple of months maybe......

Back