Stainless screws for rear number plate lights

Joga

A2OC Donor
Most have encountered rusty screws for the lens of the rear number plate lights (or will!).
Here is a my replacement light.
_20201109_173718.JPG

These are the dimension of the original screws.
_20201109_173642.JPG

_20201109_173626.JPG

Approx 3.75mm x 14mm.
I found that this stainless screw was a good replacement:
_20201109_172834.JPG

_20201109_174539.JPG

I guess what country you stay in limits the choice of suppliers. We are still quite fortunate in the UK in that we have several large store retailers and one line ones also. The real trick is getting a good grade stainless steel screw of roughly the correct dimensions. The other tip is to get some small rubber o rings and place one under the head of the new screw, a little dab of silicon grease before fitting the screw. This will both lubricate the thread and greatly slow down water ingress.
I sourced my screws from Halfords.

Still quite difficult to find part threaded screws to match the original.

Have to smile, 7zap has 4.2mm X 13 mm panel screw, why 4.2mm??? - imperial No 8.

Andy

Perhaps also put some silicone washers under the screws too, to protect the polycarbonate lenses from cracking even more? I believe there's a thread from a long long time ago about it.

Reactions: mtl
Still quite difficult to find part threaded screws to match the original.

Have to smile, 7zap has 4.2mm X 13 mm panel screw, why 4.2mm??? - imperial No 8.

Andy
Picking from the other thread earlier today:

And they're "A2" Stainless Steel - you couldn't make it up ?? :)

Here in Greece the place to go for stainless steel screws and fittings is any yacht chandler. It's probably the same in the UK

Back