starter

As its an A2 suspect either main earth or positive supply lead could be corroded, even broken.

I’ll second that, the earth could be solid with aluminium oxide. Its a sod to get the bolt out and HSS taps don’t like recutting the messed up thread.
But it could be your solenoid. Earth your engine via a jump lead and try again. If you still have a problem take the motor out and bench test it. I’ve had two VAG solenoid failures in recent years.

I simply added an additional earth lead on my TDI

I did then later replace the starter due to the noise issue and found a new one cheap on eBay, planned to clean and grease the old one but it was fused solid to the gearbox and despite using wood I split the starter casing so lucky I had a new one

I’ll second that, the earth could be solid with aluminium oxide. Its a sod to get the bolt out and HSS taps don’t like recutting the messed up thread.
But it could be your solenoid. Earth your engine via a jump lead and try again. If you still have a problem take the motor out and bench test it. I’ve had two VAG solenoid failures in recent years.
Thank you, shall try with another earth

I simply added an additional earth lead on my TDI

I did then later replace the starter due to the noise issue and found a new one cheap on eBay, planned to clean and grease the old one but it was fused solid to the gearbox and despite using wood I split the starter casing so lucky I had a new one
Thank you, shall add another earth

If after checking the power and earth leads are clean and tight with good continuity you are still having issues , then it is possible that the grease inside the solenoid has age hardened and now making the solenoid lazy. This will need the starter stripped and cleaned or replaced.

If after checking the power and earth leads are clean and tight with good continuity you are still having issues , then it is possible that the grease inside the solenoid has age hardened and now making the solenoid lazy. This will need the starter stripped and cleaned or replaced.
Check for a permanent 12v feed to the double lug connection on the starter and a switched 12v feed to the solenoid terminal when you turn the ignition key to to the cranking position.

Thank you. I suspected solenoid, however it not easy to tap nit with hammer.
Cleaned earth connection, starter now working.

New battery and alternator fitted.
Driving along then generator light started flashing at high speed then engine cut out. After a few minutes i got engine
started and got home.
I still suspect earth fault. Where ls most likely battery earth fault?
My wife refuses to drive car until I guarantee that it will not fail on her.

What voltages do you get at the battery with the engine off and engine running?

OK So new battery and alternator fitted, I assume BOTH were correctly rated for the car and the leads all connected correctly? But what condition are the main cables in on the starter and alternator. The positive does not tend to corrode but its ends must be intact and make a good clean contact. The earth behind the headlight frequently fails internally behind the insulation, so even if the ends are clean and making good contact does not ensure the lead is good. You really need to check the cable with a meter and wiggle the lead to see if the reading fluctuates. Did you run another earth to the engine to prove the earth lead?

At the battery end make sure the leads are secure in the clamps, the clamps are clean and secure and the auxiliary positive supply is secure to the positive clamp and the internal connections are clean and tight. Lastly check the other end of the battery earth lead where it connects onto the chassis near the rear left wheel. Any corrosion replace the lead(s).

As @audifan says, have you checked the earth connection behind the headlight? Also when you changed the alternator did you replace the drive pulley? On a tdi the pulley is a one way clutch which when it fails causes poor charging from the alternator, usually accompanied by a squealing from the auxiliary drive belt.

Does battery earth cable run directly from battery to engine compartment and where is it connected?
I am in my eighties now and it has been too cold to work on the car.
Thanks for your help folks.
I'll have another the first nmild day

As I stated above.....

Lastly check the other end of the battery earth lead where it connects onto the chassis near the rear left wheel. Any corrosion replace the lead(s).

For me i wouldnt struggle with the awkward factory earth simply add an additional one!

Its chassis (the chassis is earthed at the battery so the whole chassis is negative) to engine, i did a thread search "starshine" for more info (mines a TDI thou)

Does battery earth cable run directly from battery to engine compartment and where is it connected?
I am in my eighties now and it has been too cold to work on the car.
Thanks for your help folks.
I'll have another the first nmild day
I don't think it does, I think the main earth from the battery terminates above the n/s rear wheel arch but I do not remember a picture to verify this.

Some pictures of engine earth location.

Andy

I agree a second earth strap under the engine bay is a good idea. Unfortunately if the BATTERY earth cable has failed where it joins the left rear longitudinal member, adding more earth leads in the front will not cure the problem.

Had car on ramp, could not find earth near N/S rear wheel. checked various points on body and body seems to have good connection
to battery negative. Have addded extra earth cable in engine compartment. Hope problem solved.
Thanks again to all who helped.

Back