Steering angle sensor fault ??? what are these fault codes ????

sdj121

Hi scanned car today because i had abs traction come on when started up?It now comes up with steeringangle sensor Then when driveing down the road 3 beeps and the warning sigal in cener of dash comes on aswell, changed both front hubs ans new sensors.I have had the stearing wheel off to get the dashboard on when i replaced it if this helps . Any advice or help please this is now driveing me mad :mad:
thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 4,246
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 5,113
  • IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 2,310
  • IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 1,618
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 2,505
  • IMG_1041.jpg
    IMG_1041.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 3,737
When you took steering wheel off there was a possibility you had misaligned the slip ring (under the steering). Also you will need to do a basic setting procedure (not sure if your device will allow you to do this, but you can do it with Vag Com).

Adaptation

Basic Setting

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)

Prerequisites:

• Start the vehicle.
  • Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
  • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
  • If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
  • Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
  • Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
  • System voltage at least 12.0 V.
[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Coding-II - 11]
OR (if Coding-II is not available)
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
Note: After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop needs to be adapted too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other info:

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)

Possible Causes

• Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Basic Setting lost
Possible Solutions

• Perform Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Basic Setting
Special Notes

• This Fault Code may also be stored even though the Steering Angle Sensor (G85) is properly calibrated (Basic Setting), though it may not be finally initialized yet. Check the Measuring Value Blocks (MVB) in the Steering Aid Control Module (J500 / #44) for details. The Initialization will usually take place during a test drive.
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85): Faulty

Possible Causes

• Steering Angle Sensor (G85) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
Special Notes

• With steering wheel level, wheels pointing straight ahead, make sure G85 is reporting 0 degrees +/- 5 degrees. If a reading of +360 or - 360 degrees is found. Remove steering wheel and turn clock spring 1 turn in direction needed to fix. See repair manual.
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85): Implausible Signal

Possible Causes

• Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Installation Position incorrect
  • No Communication between Steering Angle Sensor (G85) and Brake Electronics (J104)
Possible Solutions

• Check Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Installation Position
  • Check communication between Steering Angle Sensor (G85) and Brake Electronics (J104)
00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85): No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85): Not Matched

Possible Causes

Possible Solutions

Special Notes

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85): Mechanical Failure

Possible Causes

• Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Installation Position incorrect
  • Suspension Geometry incorrect
Possible Solutions

• Check Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Installation Position
  • Check Suspension Geometry

Hi dont think this machine will do this > might have to take it in the local garage only thing is i dont think they would no much about this. Can you recommend any garages around or members that might be able to help as the mot is now up and i have done all i can. thanks for all the info i will try these steps first. thanks

Well you being in Manchester means there's Mike (Skipton) that can do it, if he's available.

Cheers
Sarge

I had the dash of my car and found out the hard way that one thing to watch when removing the steering wheel is the steering angle sensor box. With all the crawling around in the car I managed to turn mine through 360 deg without knowing. When everything was back together I got an ABS warning light and an 'out of range' fault code and it took a while to realise what was wrong. Seem to recall there was a small window in the sensor and an alignment dot behind it so you could try turning the sensor through 360 deg till the dot ligns up again and try it- but it may take a couple of goes to get it right.

Cheers Spike

To clarify what Spike said, there's a window top right of the steering angle sender and when it's in its central position (i.e. wheels straight) there should be a yellow dot visible. No dot, carefully turn the unit until it becomes visible. Be careful as the ribbon cable inside can be damaged easily.

Cheers,

Mike

Back