Steering wheel dilemma

ndavid

A2OC Donor
Hi,

After 16 years my steering wheel has some wear and tear and I am thinking about replacing it. And here comes the dilemma.

1. Shall I buy an A1 steering wheel? I like the "Legends" version and it is quite cheap as I do not need the multifunction one with the buttons, just the simplest version. The problem is with the airbag wires as I would need a new harness for the other side. How could I find someone here in the middle of nowhere who could make it for me? With my manual skills the DIY is not an option even though it's just 4 wires.... Could someone from here do it and send it to me?
  2. Shall I buy some A2 steering wheels like this one? The colour code is 28G (steppenbeige), which means that originally it may come from and A6, but definitely not from an A2 although it has the 8Z prefix. Will it fit? Can I find an A2 airbag with the matching colour? What should I check before buying one?

Any advice?
Norbert

I have a Audi A1 steering wheel in my A2 and am very pleased with it. Yes its not factory but it lifts the interior a little and have also got the matching S-Line gear knob and gator.

I made the loom for the airbag by combining the old and new looms together. I sourced the wheel and airbag as a set so all was included. I can recall the specific pinouts so hopefully someone will be able to add the necessary detail.

What colour is your worn wheel? I've got a few wheels here, spare, and they're good condition. Maybe I could help with a replacement?

David

I have a spare A1 wheel, I bought the one with the worng buttons on for the A1 and MFSW to work, so if you are not bothered about the buttons it just needs an airbag and loom. If your local I can swap the loom for you, pretty straight forwards.

Just read where you are, not exactly local

Recover the one you have or buy a cheap badly worn one to get it recovered?

Look up royal steering wheels - probably looking around the 150 quid mark plus the cost of the wheel and shipping to them. Turnaround from them last time was 1-2 weeks

As you have an SE the steering wheel is leather. You could buy some leather dye and either redo as black or get some other colour and dye the wheel you already have. Cheaper option. No issues with airbags or airbag wiring looms this way.

Thanks for all the support and information I got from this community:

Back