Stereo & speaker replacement questions...

Miniblob

Hi there,
Collected a 2001 1.4 Tdi yesterday and one of the first things I hope to be doing is replacing the audio kit in this car with something half decent!
The head unit (single din, concert 2) is beyond knackered and the drivers speaker is also very much on its last legs.
I'm just trying to confirm what bits I'll need for fitting an aftermarket head unit, (I've got loads of kit knocking around).

This car does have rear speakers, so assuming I use a h/u with RCA outs, am I right in thinking this has all the connections I need for the current speaker setup?

I'm also not sure if I need these fascia/trim parts, (is the Audi unit wider than standard single din)?

And these fascia adaptor parts keep coming up - are they to mount the replacement h/u cage or something? Do I need these?

My other question is regarding the door speakers - the fronts (at least) will be changed for aftermarket units.
Has anyone tried either of these fitting/adaptor rings?
There appear to be two different options, (if ebay can be believed) - do all A2's have the same shape/fitment speakers? Any idea which of these I'm likely to need?

Apologies for the long post, I'd just rather have all the bits I need to hand before I start dismantling the car!!!
Thanks in advance,
Rob.

Do you actually have Bose or just the standard set up with rear speakers?

There are no ignition or illumination cables present on a Concert 2 as they are controlled via the CAN Bus, so you will need to get those from elsewhere. I have used the big white cable behind the climate panel for the ignition before, but it only allows the head unit to stay powered if the key is in position one, where the OEM set up still powers the head unit with the key in the ignition but not turned. Not a big deal, but worth a mention. The illumination can be taken from the ashtray light.

I cannot advise on the other parts you mention as I have only ever fitted double DIN with standard speakers. But shout if you need more info on the wiring.

Ian

Thanks for that Ian.
I got the impression that CAN bus was only an issue on later cars '04/05+, but that's the danger of googling!!!

Big white cable it is - only needs to be on with ignition, so that's fine.
I'll do as you suggest for illumination too.

No idea if it's a bose setup to be honest - I'm assuming not, as there's no sub in the boot!

Unless things have changed, I don't think any of the aftermarket speaker adaptors work on an A2.

Cheers Spike

Unless things have changed, I don't think any of the aftermarket speaker adaptors work on an A2.

Cheers Spike
I've read this on old threads I've found, but can't believe they'd still be selling these, advertised for the A2.
Surely that's the whole point of the adaptors?

I thought someone on here must have tried some, but if not, I probably will!

If you have Bose you would have the sub in the boot and Bose badges on the speaker grills, you would also see the word Bose appear on the Concert 2 display on start up.
All Concert 2 head units used CAN bus, not just later cars.

Ian

Ah, definitely not Bose then.
I had assumed no CAN bus, but I'm assuming it won't cause any other issues and I'll just take feeds from elsewhere, as you suggested.
It does actually say in the ebay ad for the wiring harness that you need an ignition feed for the stereo to power on!

So looking again at a few more listings, I think the fascia/trim and the fascia adaptor parts I linked to, are just the same thing, pictured at different angles?

Hmmm, plenty of adapters advertised!

I've ordered a loom and fascia trim, so we'll see if they're any good!

When I have the door apart (window motor) I'll have a proper look at the speaker and try the nearest looking adaptors!!!

I've noticed there are no tweeters behind the top grills - how do oem ones fit?
Should there be some kind of mount/bracket, or will I have to make something up?

There are some good shots of the tweeter mounting in Darren's link to the door card removal video

Cheers Spike

You should have tweeters in the front doors at least. If you don't have them in the back then you're short of the rear woofers too, and all the wiring from them all to the door connectors, then through the body of the car to the headunit (via a little separate Blaupunkt rear amp under the driver's floor). The tweeters all sit in specially shaped and angled recesses in the outer doorcards under the top grilles, but all the woofers are pods which mount on the surface of the inner metal doorcard beneath - the outer doorcards only hold the plastic grilles over them. If you don't have rear speakers, there will be a thin metal foil sheet stuck across the holes that the woofers would recess slightly into. From a conversation in another recent thread, they were an option on cars up to some time in 2002 when speakers in all 4 doors became standard.

Last edited:
As @bretti_kivi says, the wiring adapters rarely fit as most sellers assume the A2 is just another Audi. I ended up modifying one to make it work.
You do not have to remove the window motor, the outer door card will reveal all and that is very easy to remove, 3 min job.

Cheers Spike, I'll have a look!

Def no tweeter in the passenger door - the grill popped off and there is nothing behind it, unless it's dropped out of sight!!!
I do have rear speakers, when I can get the audi unit to work, I can fade to rear and they do work, to some extent!

Sounds like I'm going to be annoyed by the wiring harness I ordered then!!!

Sorry for the confusion - I need to replace the passenger window motor anyway, it's dead!!!

I've seen a couple of 3d printed versions, I have no idea how well they fit to the door or what drivers they'll actually take. Driver magnet size is important in this context...

That's interesting, thanks.
So potentially I could download that and have some 3D printed for me somewhere?

I did think the mounting depth would need to be considered!!!

Ok, just had the door apart for a look, (replaced the window motor, all working now!).
My passenger (at least) tweeter is missing!!! The wire is there, but no tweeter!
How is the tweeter meamt to be attached to the door?
Didn't really seem any obvious mounting points!

Also, should there be tweeters in the rear doors as well? (I haven't checked them yet!)
Do the rear speakers and tweeters mount exactly the same as the fronts?

Those front speaker mounts are an odd shape - don't really look like either of the ebay links I attached at the start.
I'll ping a couple of emails to see what sellers say, but think I'll try and find out what those 3d printed jobbies would cost somewhere!!!

Also wondering what the easiest route would be to run an rca cable to the boot for a sub/amp?
Anyone done this/got any suggestions?

Last edited:
Just done some work on my door to replace the check step.The tweeter just pushes into place. My bass speaker housing and speaker got damaged by the broken strap so I’m not sure there is much room for alternate speaker mounts. You might be able to change the driver and use the standard speaker mount if you can get a better bass speaker with similar dimensions

Back