Stering angle sensor fault.

a2roger

Hi I bought a low mileage a2 63000mile x reg 1.4 petrol, it has never failed a mot ever in its life. I bought knowing it had a fault as it felt like the power stearing was not working when I dignosised it with my machine before I bought it. The machine read stering angle sensor fault i then though it would need a new sensor as its not been used much in recent years and had also been in a accident many years ago.

I have changed the stering angle sensor myself tonight (new sensor of a 1.6 fsi?) and erased the codes i have then test drove it and the fault has come back on 150yards down the road, when I took the car to my usual auto electrician and asked if he was able to recalibrate the car with the original sensor in he was unable to fix it. I thought it may be because the sensor was faulty or his machine was not compatible.

So like I said I have changed the sensor and tryed fixing it myself but have been unable to can anyone other any advice or help.

Thanks.
20210406_202654.jpg
20210406_202656.jpg

Evening Roger,

I'm by no means an expert with this fault but a quick search of the Ross-Tech forum provided these results.

The faults shown from your scan result are easily identified on the link along with possible causes. It would be best to have your A2 scanned with VCDS but if thats not possible then you should at least show the information contained within the link to you Auto-Electrician.

It might also be worth having a read through this link to see who is the nearest member who has VCDS.

Kind regards,

Tom

Generic scanners have a use but are very limited when it comes to the A2. The ONLY real way to get reliable codes is VCDS. Yes there are a few others out there but bit too expensive for home use.

Sorry for the late response, just seen everyone's replies thankyou to everyone who replied.

I was very careful when I installed the new sensor to make sure it went in the right place, as I made sure the sensor didn't move or spin around. I will have another go at it then see if my auto electrician who I normally use can get to the bottom of it with the new sensor installed. If that dose not work then i will try and get a full VCD scan.

So once it is all installed correctly and everything is how it should be how do you calibrate the stearing? is it again using VCDS? Or any machine with the stearing calibration function thats compatible?

Some cars self calibrate i assumed the audi a2 would need to be calibrated even once everything was reinstalled?

Thats the bit what am confused on if it needs the stearing calibrated or not or if it would just be calibrated once I deleted the fault with my machine once everything was reinstalled correctly and working?

Some useful guidance here (link below) regarding ensuring the straight-ahead position of the steering ring behind the steering wheel -

and then the steering calibration process with VCDS is described by Sarge in this series of posts linked here :

best of luck, Robin.

I was very careful when I installed the new sensor to make sure it went in the right place, as I made sure the sensor didn't move or spin around. I will have another go at it then see if my auto electrician who I normally use can get to the bottom of it with the new sensor installed. If that dose not work then i will try and get a full VCD scan.

So once it is all installed correctly and everything is how it should be how do you calibrate the stearing? is it again using VCDS? Or any machine with the stearing calibration function thats compatible
If the last sensor was wrong and the new fitted was put in the same place, that will also be wrong. It will need setting up. It does need VCDS

Just spoke to the auto electrician he said he will try his machine on it this weekend (he doesn't charge me to look or dignosis any of my cars) he was able to reprogram my audi a2 abs module on a fsi sport for me not so long ago as the millage counter or speed counter was not working but has worked fine since.

So will give that a try first then go from there, i will update the post once he has tryed.

Just a quick update i re installed the new sensor, as I had some how installed it 360 degrees out (even though I was trying be be careful I stalling it correctly). I then removed the codes with my autel vag maxscan, I then drove it then the airbag light came on I then removed that light. I then drove it for about 3 or 4 miles no lights came back on this time but the stering is still heavy especially at slow speeds?

Is this because I need to calibrate the stearing? or could this be a power stearing issue?

Just a quick update i re installed the new sensor, as I had some how installed it 360 degrees out (even though I was trying be be careful I stalling it correctly). I then removed the codes with my autel vag maxscan, I then drove it then the airbag light came on I then removed that light. I then drove it for about 3 or 4 miles no lights came back on this time but the stering is still heavy especially at slow speeds?

Is this because I need to calibrate the stearing? or could this be a power stearing issue?

That sounds like a bit of both to be honest... Is the Power steering fluid at the correct level?

I know the calibration bit needs to be done properly when replacing the sensor - last time I did it it took a couple of attempts to get it spot on - , and this will trigger the ABS light if not done properly.

I will check the power steering resivour level by removing the wheel and undertray? Is there a way to check the pump is working? I dont have any tools to check if there is voltage coming from the pump, but I could buy one if there is no other way to check its working or not.

I am fortunate to have a spare power steering pump and resivour in my garage, if I need to replace it.

I understand I will need to get the car stearing calibration done by someone with VCDS, once I have done my checks or replace the power steering pump or topped the power steering fluid up if necessary.

Thanks again everyone for there input and guidance.

You can check and top up the power steering fluid by removing the left hand headlight. To see the level in the reservoir is easier from below but the wheel arch liner needs to come out at least from the front of the car. Fortunately the cap on the top has a form of dipstick built in. If you look at your spare unit you can see the moulded on full level line on the tank and if you remove the cap you will see the dipstick. At least doing that you know what to look for. It is worth disconnecting the wiring plug and making sure the contacts are clean dry and not corroded.

Have you tried the first part from the golf wiki

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)​

Prerequisites:

• Start the vehicle.
  • Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
  • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
  • If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
  • Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
  • Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
  • System voltage at least 12.0 V.

No I haven't I read it but thought it needed to be plugged into vcds when preforming this method. I will give it a go thankyou.

Now your steering angle sensor is correct this wheel turning and drive may help the systems retrain without VCDS. I would still check the fluid level and have a VCDS scan done to see if there are any other issues.

No I haven't I read it but thought it needed to be plugged into vcds when preforming this method. I will give it a go thankyou.
You need to perform the above preferably with the VCDS plugged in, as this is only the first part of calibrating the sensor. Once you have done the above THEN you do a recalibration in VCDS... (I can't remember how it is done)

Back