Strange Vibration over 60mph

Nigel245

A2OC Donor
Just recently I have found going over 60/65mph the vibration through the steering wheel is quite bad and going faster just increases it. I had the wheels swapped from front to back and alignment with tracking done but it's still much the same. I also asked them to check if all looked good and they said yes. Is there something else to try? I'm aware my discs and pads need replacing as very low but couldn't see any correlation with this but getting it done very soon anyway. I realize there's a lot of potential parts that wear up front but I like the idea of knowing what they might be so I can suggest it when it goes in for the discs to be done.
Thanks
Nigel:)

Last edited:
Plus one for buckled wheel, or could be a drive shaft issue, or suspension even weakened lower wishbones due to corrosion.. If you can I always prefer to get the wheels balanced ON the car although getting harder to find now.
Do you have a spare? Swap that for each wheel in turn may highlight the problem wheel.

On my other half's car there was a horrible vibration before I took it in for the first refurb (suspension and brakes). I suspected maybe a driveshaft as they didn't look great. It turned out to be the reverse side of the disc on the driver side behind the stone guard - really bad corrosion to the point where there was a substantial imbalance once you got above 40-45mph, and the brake pads were worn down like an old bar of soap. Don't discount the improvement newer discs may bring bearing in mind what you said about them being near replacement.

It could be that one of the back wheels was also buckled, so swapping wouldn't help. If you jack up the car at the front and run it in first gear you'll easily be able to see if there is any significant buckling on the wheel as it will noticeably appear to wobble. You can just put it in first and get out - it'll run quite happily with no throttle (don't do this if you don't have axle stands). Unfortunately in my experience no amount of balancing can remedy a buckle once it's beyond a certain point.

Back