Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulj

Thought I would open this forum as I have just changed the standard suspension to H&R Sport kit. This consists of a set of matched springs.

Quote from H&R:

"When you want to get serious, H&R Sport Springs are the hot set-up. These are our most popular springs - they lower your machine an average of 1.5 - 2.0 inches (depending on make and model) for improved handling, better aerodynamics and a simply outrageous look. Each spring is tuned for that elusive combination of shifter-kart handling and a controlled, yet comfortable ride (about 25-30% stiffer than stock)."

I agree the look is quite superb being 2" lower than before, handling is much better and the first tank of fuel on them has increased by 30 miles :) - I'll let you decide if its because of Aerodynamics or the fact I'm driving slower due to the looks I get from the wheels.

I have loads of clearance on the arches even with the increased wheel diameter there are no problems, no rubbing or strange noises from any corners.

However as for the “Yet comfortable ride” it is a little hard on the back roads in Devon, but cornering and motorway work is much improved over standard and feels very stable against its previous set up.

I would say that the H&R kit at “25-30% up rated compression” is just a little hard for the basic shock’s, best guess is get a complete kit.

To sum up, it requires serious thought for anyone who is thinking of a kit before purchasing. If you can put up with the firm and almost bouncy back lane ride against the superb kart like handling on good roads then it’s the way to go.

Having only had it fitted for a weekend there is lots of time yet, so I’ll keep you all posted.

2001 1.4 TDI SE, Crystal Blue, Open Sky, Climate Control, El.Rear Windows, H&R -2" suspension, 17" five spoke Canonica alloys, Alpine CD/MP3 & Genesis Components & Amps, Focal Sub all custom fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back