Swapped Driver Door key no longer works in original barrel

froggy

Recently replaced a damaged driver door, but for some reason the key wont fully insert in the original barrel. Just wondering if anybody has come across this. I know I can buy a replacement barrel and keys but is there a reason the key no longer goes in the old barrel? I removed it very easily (thanks to this amazing community) with the intention of swapping out the replacement door barrel. Could it work again when set in the replacement door?

Attachments

• 2C9B2297-6F82-49D2-A183-79F960BBCBBD.jpeg
    2C9B2297-6F82-49D2-A183-79F960BBCBBD.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 88
  • 22FB8CC3-A8C1-425A-8A25-1E71CDC4C723.jpeg
    22FB8CC3-A8C1-425A-8A25-1E71CDC4C723.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 95
The question is did the key insert into the barrel BEFORE you removed it?

Could be some displaced dirt has blocked the bottom of the barrel and flushing with WD40 while inserting / removing the key would work or part of the barrel has become dislodged.

Last edited:
Have to admit I didn’t take the chance to try it in the door before we removed It. ? Only days later, during the process of removing the barrel with the door off the car did I realise the problem. The door handle was pretty badly gouged and the plastic surround of the barrel is scuffed, so maybe the barrel is damaged inside due to the impact which damaged the door. I was debating trying to fit it and hope, but maybe a new barrel and keys is my best option.

You could have a look on youtube for videos showing how to take the lock apart ( will be near enough the same VW or Audi ). That MAY let you find out what is wrong, whether or not it is repairable could not say.

Perhaps something like this...

Well a shout out to the mechanic at MD Autos in Wallasey. I was about to attempt taking the barrel apart when a work colleague recommended this guy. As he was around the corner I thought why not. He was busy welding when I arrived but stopped as I got out and lifted up his mask. I asked if he could help and he looked at the key and said “can’t be the right barrel, no chance. Hang on its off centre.” Then he proceeded to smack the key side of the barrel against the wall about 5 times. Inserted the key fully, turned it and handed it back. “Bit of luck that.” Dropped his mask and carried on welding! ? No charge and a very happy outcome!

Attachments

• 2AA85034-309E-42A1-9CEB-AF788FBF2E8E.jpeg
    2AA85034-309E-42A1-9CEB-AF788FBF2E8E.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 85
Yep, not internally as I thought, you can just make out the small scuff marks next to the key slot. This was just enough to knock it off centre. Smashing it against a brick wall however, was not a solution I had considered.……….

Just to finish this off - swapped the now fixed door barrel, the little T20 torx screw in the side of the door which allows barrel extraction without removing the door card is a pain. It just spins and its simply trial and error trying to pull and turn at the same time (anti clockwise) until you feel it tighten (with the door handle pulled out).

The doors all locked/unlocked manually, but the fob remote did nothing. Found a short YouTube vid and hey presto fully functioning central locking, without changing any looms or messing with the battery. Very lucky I guess. If your replacement door is not nearly identical, maybe loom swaps are required.

Key re-pairing procedure in case it helps somebody one day is:

1. Turn on ignition
2. Open driver window
3. Turn off ignition

It worked straight away after that for me.

Back