Swapping over Electric Seats

Chrysos

Hi,
I recently bought a 1.4 tdi (75 ) and was wanting to swap over the interior with that of a donor car (1.4 tdi 90). However the 90 has electric front seats, and i haven't been able to find any information on how to swap them over.
Any reply's appreciated.

The only electric adjustment on the seats is the lumbar. Easiest thing to get you started is to set the lumbar to your desired position while the seats are in the donor car, then disconnect them and do the swap. You'll see the red connector plug under each seat when you remove them, next to the yellow airbag plug. If you cut the red plugs from the end of donor the car's loom (just 2 wires, 0 and 12v) you can connect one up to a basic 12v accessory plug. Then if you want to readjust the lumbar once the seats are in the new car, power the seat temporarily from the 12v socket in the centre. Longer term, talk to @timmus the electrical guru on here regarding having him wire them in for you as they were in the donor car, using the plugs you kept. Or there are others who have done the job themselves and could advise you on what you need to take apart and which wiring circuits to use.

There is a possibility that they might be heated?
As has been stated if they are sport seats or SE seats with lumbar coming from the donor, the idea of setting the lumbar prior to removal is the best plan. If you decide to get the wiring for the lumbar retro fitted at a later date that too sounds like a good idea.

There is a possibility that they might be heated?
Good point, hadn't thought of that. Different kettle of fish altogether and more variables e.g. single DIN/double DIN dash. The wiring would also be more complex with no workaround like the lumbar switches have. Definitely one I'd be talking to @timmus about if that's the case.

Thank you very much for the recommendation, chaps.

I've added the lumbar support wiring looms more times than I can possibly remember. Behind cruise control, it's probably my most popular upgrade.

Cheers,

Tom

While I think about it, front seat removal other than the electrical connections is just four M8 spline bolts each. The ones at the rear of the seat rails have trim covers: the inside one simply slides off, the outside one has a clip underneath that needs to be prised out with a flat screwdriver first. Oh, and the airbag wire from the car loom may also have a cable-tie, which is fixed to the same bracket under the seat that holds the connector socket which the wire plugs into.

It helps if, while their bolts and electrical connections are out but the front seats are still in place, you recline their backs all the way up/forwards and position them on their rails so that these don't protrude from the rest of the seat base. That way you minimise the chance of leaving scratches and greasy marks on your interior, when you grab the front seats by the headrests and pull them out through the boot on their backs.

Back