Tailgate Fails to Open

David

Hi All, I've searched the threads, but can't quite find the answer to this one. Tailgate fails to open either with central locking or tailgate switch, so I've opened with the manual interior access and removed the solenoid assuming it has failed. It works perfectly when 12 volts are applied, so not sure where to look next? Thanks, David

Hi All, I've searched the threads, but can't quite find the answer to this one. Tailgate fails to open either with central locking or tailgate switch, so I've opened with the manual interior access and removed the solenoid assuming it has failed. It works perfectly when 12 volts are applied, so not sure where to look next? Thanks, David

Need to check the wiring, follow it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the wires at the top of the hatch where they pass into the car as they are known to fatigue and break there. Try fitting the solenoid and connecting it back up then run an earth directly from the battery to the tailgate to see if it is an earthing problem.

Check the wires at the top of the hatch where they pass into the car as they are known to fatigue and break there. Try fitting the solenoid and connecting it back up then run an earth directly from the battery to the tailgate to see if it is an earthing problem.
Great, thanks for the help. Firstly I eliminated the earth. Then looked for a broken wire on the nearside. Found two broken wires! The white and purple matching the solenoid wire. (I'm not sure what the other one was as I hadn't noticed anything else not working) After quite a bit of a struggle I've repaired both broken wires. Now all working properly again. Thanks again, David

Glad to help. If i recall the lock runs down one side and the radio and heated rear window the other.

Back