Tailgate gas struts

Scots Laddie

A2OC Donor
I'm new to A2 ownership and I wanted to check if what I'm experiencing with the tailgate is normal or the gas struts need replacing.

The tailgate opens fine and doesn't feel particularly heavy and holds open fine. However, when closing the tailgate it seems very easy for it slam closed very hard. Is this normal or is it due to dead gas struts?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Mine could described exactly that way. My wife pulled it down like you do with most cars and it sounded horrible. I thought it would have shattered the rear window.
As the struts look slightly rusty I'm on the hunt for new ones.

GSF list them at £12 each but they're not available for delivery or locally to me. I also intend to check the price direct from Audi but I don't want to replace them if that's just normal.

Mine has been like that from new. Just let it drop the last few inches and it'll close. If you slam it you can burst eardrums of those inside! So I suspect your struts are fine.

I done this first time I opened the boot, after that I just hold it until the last 4 or 5 inches then let go and it closes lovely and quietly :)

Back