Tailgate won't Lock.

A2Z3

The tailgate on my Storm won't Lock and I have boot open warning constantly flashing on the dash . I have ordered a new solenoid, as the tailgate lock does not make any sound when I push the "open" switch. Does the solenoid also activate the closing of the tailgate as it does with the opening? If not, what else to look for when I take the interior trim off the tailgate?
Failed the PKK because of this (and a few other minor things)
IMG_0683.jpg

Mine did exactly that - solenoid failed and the boot was then being held closed by gravity and weak gas struts. New (second-hand from here) replacement resolved the issue straight away.

i've had this twice and same fault both times
The motor in the solenoid (its actually a motor and gearbox) not a solenoid in the true sense of the word goes very weak. On mine the first time you operated it to open the tail gate it would, if you tried to close it within about 5 mins it would not catch, leave it longer and the motor cooled down and would then work OK to latch the tailgate closed.
I stripped it down and cleaned and oil the motor, but it was past this, the brushes where very worn
I did manage to get a replacement motor from american Ebay, but I cant find the listing any longer. The motor was a couple of dollars but shipping was about 12$ from memory, wasa couple of years ago
The lock works perfectly now

However if you can find a second hand complete unit (not the actual metal lock, just the actuator) that that is a MUCH MORE simple solution, and likely a cheapre solution as well
@A2Steve my any chance ?
Paul

Thanks for advice :)
Changed the solenoid and now the tailgate opens and locks as it was new. Quick and easy fix, even though the the panel trim reqired some force to pop off an on.
D5AAB58E-3C1E-4DB2-BA74-99F5E7CC6D01.jpeg

Last edited:
Back