Tandem pump Leak?

bm_sthlm

A2OC Donor
Hey guys,

I have noticed a small leak around the tandem pump. But since I havent been able to confirm it Im a bit hesitant on how to proceed. I have attached a picture, but I know its hard to make any thing out of it.

Im considering to do a gasket change on it, and hoping that will be the end of that. Is that good place to start? Is it a common problem with leaking gasket on the tandem pump?

I also noticed that the tandem pump I have is a Luk. So I guess its been changed at some point. So do you guys think the gasket they are sellin on ebay would fit?

Attachments

• 90549973_705893203280958_1826490264881987584_n.jpg
    90549973_705893203280958_1826490264881987584_n.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 716
Both LUK and Bosch pumps fitted to the amf engine
Only LUK fitted to BHC and ATL engined
Bosch pump is far superior

Gasket rarely fails normally pump is starting to leak
There are repair kits available but these don’t often work long term
Bosch replacement pump is the way to go
Even if you have a bhc or atl engine but you then need a spacer to move the ASV to clear the Bosch pump
I modify the original spacer to suit but you need an additional spacer. I.e. two in total
Pm me if you need more info

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I see. So better to just get a new pump then. I have the AMF engine, so the Bosh would just fit directly then, with no spacer?
Is it a difficult job? I done some work on my car myself and looking to do as much as possible by myself, but Im in no way a prefessional.

yes Bosch pump is a direct fit on thw AMF engine
just remember to order the gasket as well as it does not come with the pump
easy job to swap pumps bolt off bolt on
prime the diesel with a suction pump or clamp the tank rubber pipe to prevent the diesel running back to the tank, or it will take a lot of cranking to pull the fuel through especially with the new pump being dry

Look out for any diesel leakage onto the rubber pipes, as it will swell them quickly casuing early pipe failure

Cheers,
Paul

I recently replaced the LUK pump on my wife's Lupo 3L (ANY, same casting as an AMF head) with a Bosch pump. However, I found that I also had to replace the hex headed screws with Allen screws as there was insufficient space for a hex socket.

RAB

Alright, I feel much more confident on doing it now. Thnx guys.

One last question xD
How "reusable" are the gaskets? I had already ordered a new set of gaskets before you recommended swapping the pump as well. So I was thinking to change the gasket now, while I wait for the new pump to arrive and considering how swamped they are (with COVID-19 and all) god knows how long it will take. Just to stopping the fuel dripping on to other components while I wait for the pump. Can I then use the gasket with the new pump or would I need another set of new gaskets?

I think the gaskets are a one shot deal.The gasket I had for my new Bosch pump was a metal "crush" type.I wouldn't recommend using one more than once,as you might be worse off than the leak you have now.

I see, thnx I guess i will just wait then.

This is what I ordered btw. But i noticed it say "break pump" in the title. Did I order the right thing? I thought it pumped diesel...

There is no real harm in changing the gasket now as long as you then fit another NEW one with the new pump. You do not need a set only the big flat metal plate gasket as the other gaskets are internal to the tandem pump and you are not taking that apart. The crucial thing is the mating faces between the tandem pump and head MUST BE SPOTLESS CLEAN, so old pump will be difficult to ensure clean surface. Again make sure you get a good OEM quality gasket with the 2 little tracts of sealant on them not just the metal only ones as they WILL LEAK.It is called a Tandem pump because in reality there are 2 pumps in one, one for the high pressure diesel and the other is a vacuum pump for the brakes etc, oil also passes through it but only to cool and lubricate it. When you do change the whole pump you MUST protect ALL the rubber hoses in the area as diesel very quickly turns them into expensive mush.

Hi bm, if you look around you can likely get even better prices for that part. But if you already ordered just ignore my comment.

Back