TDI’s just won’t die

A2Steve

A2OC Donor
Wales
Well today I took delivery of a new breaker

65F44341-5857-4AD6-9F5E-2F3728066DD1.jpeg

Stood in a field in all weathers for 5 years, completely overgrown and do you know what, stuck a good battery on it and it started and drove up my driveway.

Amazing little engines

I did that on mine after being stud 2 years put a new battery on and it started like it had been stood over night.... amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although to be fair it’s the battery that’s going flat... so it’s not a fair comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No breaker then?

I think the exhaust has rotted through, the bodywork has a lot of damage, it’s mouldy inside and that’s just a quick examination. I think it would need a fair amount of time and money invested to get it back on the road, but will take a good look.

The optional roof-trellis attachment is a nice feature! :)

Why was it abandoned in a field for so long?

I came across an A2 hoarder a couple of years ago. He had around 12 A2’s I think. Every time someone thing went wrong with one of them he just parked it up and went and bought another one. It took a while for me to convince him to sell but I’ve been working through them on and off over the last couple of years. The ones I can fix I put back on the road, the ones that are too far gone get used for parts.

Here’s one of my favourites. I can’t seem to find the before photo, but it was in extremely dirty and neglected with 4 flat tyres and lots of greenery. Took a few weeks but it came out like this

0A7E9201-758A-4D91-9043-D20197414597.jpeg
9DE76987-8CA9-4FBD-9AE8-355167B73AEF.jpeg

I went to view ne last year in a similar condition, with nettles surrounding it higher than the windows, took a petrol strimmer to the undergrowth to see the car, opened the door...OMG, it nearly knocked me out the smell in there, apparently the owner used it to 'cage' their dogs when the postman used to come to the house!!!
I passed on it as there was only a couple of good parts on it...6months later a chap contacted me asking if I wanted to buy an a2 he had 'saved' from a field....you guessed it, the same car...as he towed it out of the field, both lower wishbones collapsed, exhaust was left behind, together with the front bumper, it looked like Herbie on an hangover!!!!!
Needless to say, I passed on it again, he had taken the 'bits' that he wanted off it and offered me the scrap leftovers!!!

Nice to see that there are some worth saving from fields, but its the hidden thigs that would catch you out, perished rubbers, belts, brakes etc.

Back