TDI 75 2005 brake servo - used or new?

Sidbo

I think I already know the answer to this, but I'd like some opinion on the sense (or not) in replacing a leaking servo with a used one?
Ahead of time I ordered new from eBay a supposedly correct aftermarket (ATE) servo (aka "brake booster") - my local garage tell me that removing the bad servo was a "pig of a job" and needed lots of stuff moving out of the way and the engine needed dropping too.
The ATE servo it seems, is about 2 inches too large in circumference and not in any way correct for this A2 - it seems unlikely it's correct for ANY A2, but I wouldn't know for sure.

The OEM part number shown in that ATE listing is 8Z1614106
The Servo that came off my TDI is actually part number 8Z2614105B
When I called a parts supplier with my REG number they confirmed that the OEM part number correct for my car is indeed 8Z1614106 NOT the 8Z2614105B that was just removed!

Anyway, having quoted me the book number of 2.5 hours labour to do the work, the mechanic is being fair and not trying to charge me extra - but they say that 2.5 hours is "nowhere near correct".

The problem now is that getting a new £225 + VAT servo from Audi is apparently going to take a week or more: I can get a used servo in a day or two but am thinking it would be daft to fit a used part in these circumstances given the amount of time it has taken and I am only being charged for the first 2.5 hours of labour at £60+ per hour!

I guess what I'd like is an opinion on the failure rate of these servos and risk in fitting a used item without even associated mileage?

(note that the A2 has only 84k on the clock and in theory has plenty of life left in it)

And all of this, because of a failed rubber seal?
I notice that our American cousins have access to repair kits for failed servos and although this refers coincidentally to ATE in particular, it's obviously a problem, common enough to have an aftermarket kit made available:

I think I already know the answer to this, but I'd like some opinion on the sense (or not) in replacing a leaking servo with a used one?
Ahead of time I ordered new from eBay a supposedly correct aftermarket (ATE) servo (aka "brake booster") - my local garage tell me that removing the bad servo was a "pig of a job" and needed lots of stuff moving out of the way and the engine needed dropping too.
The ATE servo it seems, is about 2 inches too large in circumference and not in any way correct for this A2 - it seems unlikely it's correct for ANY A2, but I wouldn't know for sure.

The OEM part number shown in that ATE listing is 8Z1614106
The Servo that came off my TDI is actually part number 8Z2614105B
When I called a parts supplier with my REG number they confirmed that the OEM part number correct for my car is indeed 8Z1614106 NOT the 8Z2614105B that was just removed!

Anyway, having quoted me the book number of 2.5 hours labour to do the work, the mechanic is being fair and not trying to charge me extra - but they say that 2.5 hours is "nowhere near correct".

The problem now is that getting a new £225 + VAT servo from Audi is apparently going to take a week or more: I can get a used servo in a day or two but am thinking it would be daft to fit a used part in these circumstances given the amount of time it has taken and I am only being charged for the first 2.5 hours of labour at £60+ per hour!

I guess what I'd like is an opinion on the failure rate of these servos and risk in fitting a used item without even associated mileage?

(note that the A2 has only 84k on the clock and in theory has plenty of life left in it)
As I understand it, the digit 1 after the 8Z in the part number you quote, indicates it will only fit LHD.

Further your old part 8Z2 indicates fits RHD only.

Andy

Interesting - thanks.
The mechanic said that the "pig" part of the servo replacement came about because of the lack of room on the right and that on the LHD car it would be very much easier.
Perhaps on the LHD cars there's then room enough alllow for 2" larger diameter on the ATE servo compared to OEM.

It would seem unlikely that I am the first person to buy an ATE servo for the A2 on eBay UK, but none of the sellers that I can see (on eBay), distinguish between the LHD and RHD cars and I bought from a UK seller, (who is obviously selling into a RHD UK market)
What I have noted though, is that the return address for the part is in Germany - I guess the seller was hiding the true item location - it happens.

ATE have an online catalogue and they don't list any available RHD "Brake Booster" for the A2

I can certainly vouch for servo removal being a pig,I recently removed the servo from a car that broke for parts it was literally the last thing left on the shell except for the peddle assembly and it was still a pig of a job.Fit a new one!!

And all of this, because of a failed rubber seal?
I notice that our American cousins have access to repair kits for failed servos and although this refers coincidentally to ATE in particular, it's obviously a problem, common enough to have an aftermarket kit made available:
Have you investigated UK companies who refurbish? An option to consider as opposed to an expensive new part but take note of guarantee periods.

Andy

Thanks for the input and sorry for the lack of reply till today, I've been away this weekend. Not in my A2(!!!!)
I had a call from my garage yesterday telling me that the used servo was "not generating a vacuum" and that the brake pedal was totally solid - it's duff despite the seller claiming it was "fully working".
In hindsight fitting a used unit was attempted due to timing (needing the car back sooner rather than later) but now I'm forced to do without the A2 as we wait for Audi to supply a new servo, I think fitting a new unit has to to be the sensible choice given the labour involved.
A pig of a job that I'm glad I had the sense not to try myself!
(how was it made to look so easy though by Brentl?)

Back