TDi 90 - Fuel pump (like) noise

mrbroons

So being a prolific A2 owner I've now had a few 90's and each one has had the same issue (feature)!

When you are sitting idling (no it's not the DMF ? ) you can hear a noise, I think coming from the rear seat area (but these things are hard to pin down) that sounds like a light tinkle / vibration noise, it does rise and fall slightly with rpm.

Now I *think* that it may be the fuel pump but given that I've had this on all of my 90's and with a variety of mileages and service history's (the latest being very very complete) I'm now not sure. Now it isn't loud, but it is, at least to me, annoying.

I've undertaken some googling and got the following "The tdi engines produce a funny noise at times in the cabin which sounds like the fuel pump - this is actually vibration in the fuel lines from the pd injectors and there is a modified fuel pipe damper you can fit to cure the noise or you could just turn up the radio" but I'm open to other suggestions.

Does anyone with a 90, or 75TDi, have a similar noise / experience and does anyone know if it's a "feature" or a "problem".

Any help gratefully received.

MrB.

James,

Yes, in a word! It sounds like a noisy fuel pump would, except there is no fuel pump under the rear of the car. See This post (point 3) in my blog thread onwards.

I thought it was a fault with my car - good to know it’s a “quirk” of the model. It’s also got slightly quieter since then (I suspect a fuel filter change provoked it), so I, happy to live with it.

James,

Yes, in a word! It sounds like a noisy fuel pump would, except there is no fuel pump under the rear of the car. See This post (point 3) in my blog thread onwards.

I thought it was a fault with my car - good to know it’s a “quirk” of the model. It’s also got slightly quieter since then (I suspect a fuel filter change provoked it), so I, happy to live with it.
Thanks for the link to your thread. I've literally lost 25 mins of my Friday night reading it ? (and it was a cracking read BTW, really enjoyed your reports!). So it looks like this is a common problem, that makes me all the more intrigued!

James,

Early 1.2 & 1.4Tdi's did have an electric fuel pump at the rear of the car, in addition to the tandem pump!

RAB

Early 1.2 & 1.4Tdi's did have an electric fuel pump at the rear of the car, in addition to the tandem pump!

RAB
Do you mean under the car as opposed to a lift pump in the fuel tank ?

Cheers Spike

Back