TDI Exhaust blow... but not from the Flexi-Pipe!

Hi All,

Sadly my A2 started sounding like a Tractor a few days ago, very noisy under acceleration and lots of Turbo whistle. After a bit of searching on here I figured it was the Flexi-Pipe as that seems to be the usual culprit.

I got underneath the Car over the weekend to inspect the problem and whilst the Flexi-Pipe seemed fine, the exhaust downpipe has completely come away from the flange where it connects to the Turbo!!
I couldn't get close enough to inspect properly, but I'm assuming if it's come away like that the metal is probably no longer good enough to be simply welded back in place. And I can't find a new or used downpipe for sale anywhere! All I can find is a complete exhaust with Catalytic Converter etc which is obviously very expensive.

Does anybody have any ideas on where I could source just the downpipe, or an alternative method of repair?
WhatsApp Image 2019-08-31 at 16.29.06.jpeg

In general, when a corrosion failure occurs in an exhaust, it is best to replace the entire exhaust, rather than go through an endless cycle of patching one leak after another. Consider getting a decent stainless exhaust built.

Hi All,

Sadly my A2 started sounding like a Tractor a few days ago, very noisy under acceleration and lots of Turbo whistle. After a bit of searching on here I figured it was the Flexi-Pipe as that seems to be the usual culprit.

I got underneath the Car over the weekend to inspect the problem and whilst the Flexi-Pipe seemed fine, the exhaust downpipe has completely come away from the flange where it connects to the Turbo!!
I couldn't get close enough to inspect properly, but I'm assuming if it's come away like that the metal is probably no longer good enough to be simply welded back in place. And I can't find a new or used downpipe for sale anywhere! All I can find is a complete exhaust with Catalytic Converter etc which is obviously very expensive.

Does anybody have any ideas on where I could source just the downpipe, or an alternative method of repair?View attachment 55963
Sounds like a complete system was too pricey for you?
Try a wanted add in the market place, one of the breakers on here will have a used one for you.

Sounds like a complete system was too pricey for you?
Try a wanted add in the market place, one of the breakers on here will have a used one for you.

Correct! Appreciate the suggestion of a new exhaust as the most reliable and permanent solution, but in this case it's simply not economic to do so.

I can't seem to find the market place, it looks as though it might have been taken down until further notice unless I'm missing something?

Correct! Appreciate the suggestion of a new exhaust as the most reliable and permanent solution, but in this case it's simply not economic to do so.

I can't seem to find the market place, it looks as though it might have been taken down until further notice unless I'm missing something?
In that case you'll need to pay £2 to upgrade your membership.

Could it be you didn't upgrade your account to have Market access yet? Click on your name on the menu bar, then Account Upgrades. If you don't already have it, a one-off £2 fee through PayPal will see you into the Market.

Same happened to my downpipe. I welded mine and it’s held so far. You need to take it off to weld it properly or change it so you can see how corroded it is then.

Hi All,

Does anybody have any ideas on where I could source just the downpipe, or an alternative method of repair?View attachment 55963
Useful post this one - I've a similar 'tractor' sound develop accompanied by a turbo whistle and knowing it would unlikely be the flexi as that has been replaced a few years back it seemed the turbo flange may have been the culprit. Indeed it was. now welded and pulling strongly again. Thanks for posting :)

Back