TDI Gear Linkage adjustment without locking pin advise

Watson306

A2OC Donor
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone may have some experience of doing the gear linkage adjustment without the black locking pin.
I have had to replace one of the bowden cable ends, which was easier than I expected, but now I have the problem of adjusting it.
I have had two or three attempts using the advise at the end of the dieselgeek video and no matter what I do I have one or more problems.
Usually that I can get it into Reverse but I cant get it out, and sometimes that I cant engage gear in second.
Thanks in advance.

There's nothing special about the locking pin. It's easy to find something that will do. I suggest that you do a search on our Forum. There's GOT to be a lot of help, there? AND, I seem to recall something on U-tube?

David

There's nothing special about the locking pin. It's easy to find something that will do. I suggest that you do a search on our Forum. There's GOT to be a lot of help, there? AND, I seem to recall something on U-tube?

David
I think watson is referring to the black plastic locking pin on the gearbox tower, and you are referring to the 5mm Dia locking pin for the gear knob end of things

i just did it - used reverse and 5th to "adjust" mine undo both of them sticks put the rolly selector thing into 5th (up and counter clockwise - furthest position counter clockwise i think?) then reverse was down and clockwise i think? might have been a fluke and blind luck as it was getting dark by the time but it shifts like a dream now - i've seen official "correct" method of doing it but it seemed complicated to me.

(had a mate put it in 5th/reverse to adjust one and then the second adjuster cables. would not do this again as it might be more blind luck to be honest someone else might advise if this is even remotely sane to do)

it is there... but i don't think it "moves" or "locks" it is loose for about 30 degrees then it just feels like plastic bending/springiness.

Seems like it's okay then, it presses in to lock but only when you have the selector in the right position.

Back