tdi90 turbo replacement - MAHLE?

nod

I've been doing a bit of digging into turbo replacement and possible slight uprating on my ATL. The GT1749VA has been used by some members I think. Mahle make a very similar turbo, and the price looks great for a new turbo. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of mahle turbos? Are they any good?

A bit more info here at the ebay link, its seems like a really good deal for a new turbo £185, assuming its suitable for the ATL. It looks like it would work with a tdi75 manifold, anybody with the technical knowledge know if this would be plug and play on the ATL (apart from having to change the connection to manifold) many thanks

My biggest concern with this exact model would be that all the cars it is specified for all have longitudonal engines - whether this would mean that there is space for this to fit in the somewhat compact space between block and bulkhead in the A2 is open to question - and also in that case whether the angles of the manifold / exhaust connections would be compatible (even though the manifold connector is like the one used for the AMF, and the exhaust connection is similar shape to the ATL interface). I also remember discussion in the Polo Tdi tuning forums regarding spool up for these 1749s - ie - they may push harder but lag a few hundred rpm higher for response than the AMF / BHC turbo, so whether this would be desirable when the ATL turbo apparently spools very quickly low down in comparison is open to question.

If I'm honest even getting beyond the increased turbo lag the extra torque this could well deliver would need both ECU mods I'd imagine and a decent thought about a clutch and DMF upgrade. The DMF for me is the weak link on the ATL if you plan on 130bhp+

After reading up I opted to replace with same turbo, mostly cause i do not understand enough about various tuning/compatiblity points and work needed to adapt a different turbo and having then to tune it/remap etc. to account for later/earlier spooling etc etc. figured I do not have facilities or know how to risk making it work.

Easiest option would probably be to send old turbo for a rebuild and hybrid upgrade to say turbo dynamics etc. from what I understand anyways.

Having had some talk with a tuning garage there is not a lot of modifications that are available for ATL engine either and fitting a 1.9TDI PD is a better choice which from what I read Germans are quite familiar with.

Anyways, long story short figured it is not worth the hassle pushing engine beyond what it is comfortable with with turbo/injectors, as while it can be pushed gearbox/clutch will suffer even if block is capable.

Will probably give it a go when i have space for another car to use and i can afford to have my A2 worked on for months to fit a 1.9 in there, cause I like suffering I suppose.

I’ve come to the same conclusion: rebuild the original with any reliability-focused upgrades incorporated while it’s apart.

For anyone interested in hybrid turbos, Wheeler Dealers covered the upgrade on a Fiat Coupe. It starts about 18 min in, with the remap process following on. On this particular car, it must be a pain to do when the chip needs to be removed from the ecu to be updated, starting with a best guess for each parameter. They only show turbo boost but presumably the fuelling and timing will need doing, then several more dyno runs for some fine tuning -

Cheers Spike

Back