Technical information required for the gear selector cables

audifan

A2OC Donor
As the selector cables are now pretty old and more are being found damaged I thought it was time we tried to obtain any / all technical information about these cables.

There are 3 part numbers for the cable pairs :-

8Z0711874S No VIN number
8Z0711874J >>8Z-2-052-000
8Z0711847N 8Z-2-052-001>>

Either the technical drawings for these parts or the measurements are required. These cables are no longer available and it appears that those that are removed have no obvious part number on the cables making using used cables a bit of a gamble. I suspect a paper label was fitted from new that either comes off in use or it is damaged by the cable removal process. Are they interchangeable? Are they different length or are the mounting point at different distances?

I know this is a big ask but can @CreweAudi either assist or point me in the direction to go?

Thank you.

As the selector cables are now pretty old and more are being found damaged I thought it was time we tried to obtain any / all technical information about these cables.

There are 3 part numbers for the cable pairs :-

8Z0711874S No VIN number
8Z0711874J >>8Z-2-052-000
8Z0711847N 8Z-2-052-001>>

Either the technical drawings for these parts or the measurements are required. These cables are no longer available and it appears that those that are removed have no obvious part number on the cables making using used cables a bit of a gamble. I suspect a paper label was fitted from new that either comes off in use or it is damaged by the cable removal process. Are they interchangeable? Are they different length or are the mounting point at different distances?

I know this is a big ask but can @CreweAudi either assist or point me in the direction to go?

Thank you.
I'm sure you know this already, but based on the option codes (T0U/T60 ; T1Q/T94) cited in the 6th column on the 7zap page for this, the part numbers above are specific for two different gearbox families - petrol (S-suffix : 1.4 / 1.6FSi), and early / late Tdi (J / N suffix). Do these have exactly the same lengths on cable / bowden or are they all distinct?

A question about measuring these arose a good year ago at least when someone here was looking at seeking new replacements from a company that make them, and I think at least one set of measurements was cited on here - but I can't remember which, or think of how to look for it with the search engine - apologies!

I'm sure you know this already, but based on the option codes (T0U/T60 ; T1Q/T94) cited in the 6th column on the 7zap page for this, the part numbers above are specific for two different gearbox families - petrol (S-suffix : 1.4 / 1.6FSi), and early / late Tdi (J / N suffix). Do these have exactly the same lengths on cable / bowden or are they all distinct?

A question about measuring these arose a good year ago at least when someone here was looking at seeking new replacements from a company that make them, and I think at least one set of measurements was cited on here - but I can't remember which, or think of how to look for it with the search engine - apologies!
It was me. I did get some measurements of cable lengths, but still need details of the terminations at each end, as the custom cable co just provides m6 threaded ends, onto which we would fit suitable terminations. The terminations, (swivel joint etc), will contribute to the lengths, so all data is required, before I can order a prototype.
Mac.

It was me. I did get some measurements of cable lengths, but still need details of the terminations at each end, as the custom cable co just provides m6 threaded ends, onto which we would fit suitable terminations. The terminations, (swivel joint etc), will contribute to the lengths, so all data is required, before I can order a prototype.
Mac.
Hi mac do you happen to remember the length?

I'll look back, and let you know.
Mac.
All the info I received is on this thread. There's no specific dimensions, but lots of info.
I remain of the opinion that with modification to the brackets that terminate the outer sheath, at both ends, standard, (from Cable-Tec, for example), parts could be used.

The inner is not quite a standard Bowden cable.

Late last year @chumsofmanutd were pursuing a commercial arrangement with a custom cable manufacturer. There's been no update on here since then.
Mac.

I also have the bracket, to which the outer fits, at the box end, which I bought, (from @Clackers ) to use, with four short cables from Cable-Tec, terminated at one end only, to create adapters. A partner with access to the tower end was also required. However, the cost of those parts from Cable-Tec, was quite high, and there was no offer for the tower end. So reluctantly, I decided to not to spend any more on the project.
Mac
PXL_20230622_101026728.jpg

Last edited:
I am expecting to need to change or at least service the ones on my newly acquired A2.

For my various Porsche projects I've used Cable Tec ( https://www.cable-tec.co.uk ) to re-manufacture original cables i.e. retain all the complex vehicle specific parts that are none wearing and renew the inner and outer cable sections accordingly. The cable ends on the A2 appear pretty generic and available so that bit is easy.

If the OE cables are No Longer Available then this may be a good option?

It looked in the above like you had used some parts from Cable-Tec to create adaptors but no mention of discussing with them remanufacturing/rebuilding original cables with new inners and outers? If it's a no go with them I'll ask Numeric in the states if they can help but would be much easier to ship bits to Liverpool than Florida!

It looked in the above like you had used some parts from Cable-Tec to create adaptors but no mention of discussing with them remanufacturing/rebuilding original cables with new inners and outers? If it's a no go with them I'll ask Numeric in the states if they can help but would be much easier to ship bits to Liverpool than Florida!
Cable Tec could not build anything custom, just supply their standard parts, which we'd have to fit suitable terminations for their outers and inners.
Not beyond possible, in my opinion, but needs access to an engine and gear box.
Mac.

This is just going round in circles. We are no nearer resolution and further comments are no closer to the answer.

From all the cable issues I have seen the outer casing is not the problem. Ironically the outer casing id the more "custom" part with all the mountings and bulkhead grommet. So if just the inner cable could be sourced to the correct length for each cable and identical or at least fully compatible ends could be sourced that is where I feel the answer will be. Reinventing the wheel is costly and unnecessary.

Once all the cable dimensions are listed the hope is that existing VAG cables can be altered to fit.

Last edited:
Here's a typical A2 cable end termination, (gearbox end).
To design an adaptor to match the Cable-Tec standard bits to the mounting bracket, (to replace the plastic bits), doesn't seem to me to be that difficult, not easy, but given the significance, worth doing, (IMO). The ball on the selector quadrant is 13 mm, and is widely available, in different materials, to match the thread on the Cable-Tec inner.
The fixed bracket, to which the cable outer sheath is mounted, fits between the white an black plastic parts arrowed.
PXL_20230709_163526899-1~3.jpg

I am just clearing the bits I'd accumulated in my failed attempt, and seeing it again, couldn't help but give it one last nudge.
Mac.
Edit: Added Cable-Tec info.

1688926019250.png

There are four cable size variants, inner and outer. Info here: https://www.cable-tec.co.uk/products/push-pull-cables/
Above is Series 3, below is Series 4, which would be our choice, IMO.

cabletec4.png

Last edited:
This is just going round in circles. We are no nearer resolution and further comments are no closer to the answer.

From all the cable issues I have seen the outer casing is not the problem. Ironically the outer casing id the more "custom" part with all the mountings and bulkhead grommet. So if just the inner cable could be sourced to the correct length for each cable and identical or at least fully compatible ends could be sourced that is where I feel the answer will be. Reinventing the wheel is costly and unnecessary.

Once all the cable dimensions are listed the hope is that existing VAG cables can be altered to fit.
The Cable-Tec inner is not the same size as the Audi original.
The other original parts I have, are not in a condition I would think about using on my car either. They're all twenty years old. A new replacement is the only route I'd consider.
On a genuine Audi cable, are the outer terminations, (the two part "gland" made up of one black and one natural nylon colour), the same, (identical), at both the gearbox and tower ends?
Mac.

Back