Tell tale signs

WayneoA2

First time today I have been able to really open the little tdi up on the open road... and it just pulls and pulls . No struggles to hit the red line 1st,2nd,3rd,4th .. no sign of it running out of puff through out the rev range . . I would've thought it would start to struggle around 4k but nope the little needle will fly past it no bother at all. Is this the normal characteristics of it or does it sound like it might be twiddled with ?

No, even as standard they are little flying machines. As said before you start even thinking about changing anything you need to get used to the car and how it works. Glad you are enjoying it as it is different from what you are accustomed to.
Not saying it has not been remapped, just standard are pretty good when cared for.

No, even as standard they are little flying machines. As said before you start even thinking about changing anything you need to get used to the car and how it works. Glad you are enjoying it as it is different from what you are accustomed to.
Not saying it has not been remapped, just standard are pretty good when cared for.
Really suprised how the little 3 pot goes .. it just goes and goes and keeps on pulling . Just curious as to weather this is how others TDI,s go regards not running out of puff up to the red line ..

Certainly how my tdi 75 runs and it is not yet remapped . A little noisy yes but can still perform against "better" cars. Enjoy it for what it is.

Really suprised how the little 3 pot goes .. it just goes and goes and keeps on pulling . Just curious as to weather this is how others TDI,s go regards not running out of puff up to the red line ..
Hi wayneo2,
I asked my previous owner exactly the same question & he said it’s standard .
Hth
Keith

Although it's undeniably impressive, I don't think the power on full chat is the greatest difference with a remap. I notice it most in the low-end to midrange, giving you flexibility and confidence in your everyday driving. My first one had nothing beneath 2k before mapping, you couldn't even pull out of junctions in 2nd if it was clear to go when you got there. My second, although very free-revving at the top end, wasn't much better down low and I found overtaking even from 2500+revs in 3rd would just do nothing for ages until the turbo eventually worked out what was required of it. The same map sorted both cars.

There are distinct differences between different cars (which may be down to things like oil pump / balance chain) - I have both AMF & BHC on similar maps, one with a GPK box, the other with PTW. The BHC car feels punchier and more responsive in the mid range (possibly also the very slightly longer gearing in 2nd and 3rd works with the power delivery), but the flip side is that it always feels a little rougher than the AMF which seems to come on stronger from 2500rpm up and spins to the red line without any vibration at all - it doesn't feel slower getting there but the power delivery is different. Once I get my engine build done (including oil pump sprockets and chains) I will be curious to see if the BHC smoothens up.

All the other diesels I have driven are literally asthmatic coming up to 4k but this one just wants to go
There’s an integral dump valve in the exhaust manifold that needs to be a gas tight seal (lapped in & pivot bush lubricated ) linkage is actuated via air pressure .
Hth
Keith

Makes me think mine was a bit tired, as could feel it not pulling quite as hard over 3.5-4k, both old AMF and current ATL engines, though ATL did have issues, will see if it goes as it should once it is all happy.

slight remap to 110bhp it was supposed to be i think on ATL did improve higher end though, but could just be the initial torque from slightly over 2k rpm to about 3k why it feels like it is less impressive after about 3.5k.

Just my experience, though again, AMF was a pretty tired example and ATL was quite neglected as far as adding oil to the engine goes.

Back