temp sensor question

Gritty

Hi all
The temp gauge on my tdi has never risen above 65 so gona change the temp sensor over when it arrives.
Quick Questions
How does the old sensor come out ? I notice it has a clip so do you just pull the clip and the sensor comes out? Also does fluid come out too and how much?
Thank you

Hi all
The temp gauge on my tdi has never risen above 65 so gona change the temp sensor over when it arrives.
Quick Questions
How does the old sensor come out ? I notice it has a clip so do you just pull the clip and the sensor comes out? Also does fluid come out too and how much?
Thank you

Yes, pull the clip out and sensor comes out. The fluid will flow out from the hole so insert new sensor quickly. Insert clip and top up fluid.

Have you previously changed the thermostat
More likely i suspect
Easy to check with an infrared thermometer
I dont have a thermo -meter.

Ive read quite a lot on here and sensor seems 1st port of call followed by thermostat.

Gritty - you've said that the temperature doesn't get above 65. Is what you are saying that it moves away from the lower stop after a while and then stabilises right at the lower end of the measurable range? Or that it never reads any movement at all?

If this is the former case, then it is likely that the sensor is working (perhaps intermittently) but the thermostat is not just lazy but absolutely shagged through old age. Start by changing the thermostat. Do the sensor at the same time as you will have to take off the boost pipe and refill some of the coolant for both jobs. Whole lot should cost you about £14 max before coolant.

Lazy thermostat - eventually gets up to 75 degrees if you're lucky but never goes higher except under extreme provocation (run at full power for a while then suddenly stop - ie on a motorway in summertime then encountering a traffic jam - car temp gauge will suddenly shoot up to 90 degrees ; then as soon as you get airflow again it drops back down to 60-70).

My car had both - a lazy thermostat and a sensor with an intermittent fault that meant it read like a light switch - either on or off. My current project car Cosmo has a lazy thermostat but the sensor is working fine on both channels.

Buy a new seal with the sensor, it does not come with it, that way you can pull the old one out and put the new one in straight away.

Gritty - you've said that the temperature doesn't get above 65. Is what you are saying that it moves away from the lower stop after a while and then stabilises right at the lower end of the measurable range? Or that it never reads any movement at all?

If this is the former case, then it is likely that the sensor is working (perhaps intermittently) but the thermostat is not just lazy but absolutely shagged through old age. Start by changing the thermostat. Do the sensor at the same time as you will have to take off the boost pipe and refill some of the coolant for both jobs. Whole lot should cost you about £14 max before coolant.

Lazy thermostat - eventually gets up to 75 degrees if you're lucky but never goes higher except under extreme provocation (run at full power for a while then suddenly stop - ie on a motorway in summertime then encountering a traffic jam - car temp gauge will suddenly shoot up to 90 degrees ; then as soon as you get airflow again it drops back down to 60-70).

My car had both - a lazy thermostat and a sensor with an intermittent fault that meant it read like a light switch - either on or off. My current project car Cosmo has a lazy thermostat but the sensor is working fine on both channels.
Hi sorry I meant to say my temp gauge never get higher than 75 (not 65 as I originally stated in my 1st post) and thats on a typical 50 mile run.

Will change both Im pretty sure neither have ever been changed.

Thanks for the advice

Now you've confirmed 75 it would tend to suggest thermostat rather than temp sensor at all. If you've got an ODBII reader check what temperature the engine ECU says it is seeing - providing this gives realistic readings with the engine running I would avoid changing the temp sensor. The dashboard readout seems (for no particular reason) to be more likely to be the part of the temp sensor that fails so if it is still working, unless the car is running obviously heavy on fuel all the time and the thermostat is working properly (as yours probably isn't since it is doing the same as my current project, hitting 75 and no higher) - then I wouldn't touch it right now. Get one in - Febi Bilstein's temp sensor I've used a couple of times and it isn't that expensive so you've got it, but leave it until you need to or have time.

I got my stat from Eurocarparts (Circoli) - but Febi Bilstein's one is probably just as good if not better and maybe a pound or two more expensive off Ebay. The tutorials on here to replace the stat are good - I did it as a complete novice a calendar year ago - but you need the right tools (not expensive) as the space is quite confined.

I would agree, change the thermostat first or for the cost change both at the same time, you need G12 or G13 antifreeze to top up. I can do a temp sensor and only loose a cup full, but doing the state is a drain down of the coolant, worth flushing it at the same time and refilling with new G13

Cheers,

Now you've confirmed 75 it would tend to suggest thermostat rather than temp sensor at all. If you've got an ODBII reader check what temperature the engine ECU says it is seeing - providing this gives realistic readings with the engine running I would avoid changing the temp sensor. The dashboard readout seems (for no particular reason) to be more likely to be the part of the temp sensor that fails so if it is still working, unless the car is running obviously heavy on fuel all the time and the thermostat is working properly (as yours probably isn't since it is doing the same as my current project, hitting 75 and no higher) - then I wouldn't touch it right now. Get one in - Febi Bilstein's temp sensor I've used a couple of times and it isn't that expensive so you've got it, but leave it until you need to or have time.

I got my stat from Eurocarparts (Circoli) - but Febi Bilstein's one is probably just as good if not better and maybe a pound or two more expensive off Ebay. The tutorials on here to replace the stat are good - I did it as a complete novice a calendar year ago - but you need the right tools (not expensive) as the space is quite confined.
Hi

The car does about 320 miles average on a £30 fill up and i drive around 60 mph mostly. I don`t have a ODB11 reader just a socket set , I`m not mechanically "tooled up" but Ive done quite a few basic repairs since purchasing the car 14 months ago.

Ive bought and temp sensor bilstein came with an o ring but i will get a stat as you suggest and try and fit that first then see what happens if you could send me the link to the tutorial that would be great.

Thanks for your advice.

I would agree, change the thermostat first or for the cost change both at the same time, you need G12 or G13 antifreeze to top up. I can do a temp sensor and only loose a cup full, but doing the state is a drain down of the coolant, worth flushing it at the same time and refilling with new G13

Cheers,
Thank you

The critical thing with the stat replacement is how confined the space is immediately behind the alternator where you need to get in to undo a couple of bolts securing the stat housing (plastic moulding) that have both a hex head and an allen socket in the middle of the head. The consensus here was that a hinged or angled 10mm ratchet spanner was useful, along with a low profile 1/4" socket adaptor that goes through the ratchet, with a 10mm socket on it (it needs to be long enough to reach but shallow enough to get into the gap if that makes sense) so just using the 10mm ratchet spanner alone wouldn't work. The other tool which was absolutely key I found was a set of ball headed long allen keys that I picked up in Lidl - these allow you to spin the bolt once the ratchet has released it.

Firstly uncover the engine - 3x 10mm nuts, remove the cover and put on one side.

To get down to the stat in the first place you then need to remove the boost pipe returning from the intercooler - this is a couple of jubilee pipe clamps - undo the one at the front to disconnect the joint, and then having loosened the one to the side of the engine, rotate the boost pipe upwards so you've got space below to get down to the thermostat housing.

is useful, although they specify a lot of tools and stuff that are "ideal situation only" - for instance, to release the coolant return pipe from the thermostat housing end. I couldn't get into that space with the release tool so left the pipe attached.

Once the housing bolts are removed, pull the housing off the thermostat. This will almost certainly break off a couple of plastic fingers that form an essential part of the workshop manual instruction list - if they haven't been broken off already in a previous stat replacement job. The thermostat normally stays in the block secured by the o-ring. Cover up the alternator with a plastic bag or similar, because unless you've drained the coolant circuit by now the coolant loss will occur next. Remove the old o-ring, and remove the thermostat. Use some of the spilt coolant to prewet the new o-ring.

Put in the new thermostat, followed by the new o-ring. Replace the housing (without the fingers you don't need to twist it onto the thermostat). Put the bolts in (this is fraught with risk of dropping the bolt into the bowels of the engine bay), turn anticlockwise before threading to minimise risk of cross-threading, then use the allen key to spin them in, then use the socket to tighten off. Replace all other removed parts, and remove any bits of plastic sheeting used to cover the alternator. Refill the coolant circuit with new coolant ; then run the engine to shift bubbles out including bleeding the radiator bleed point and then the expansion tank.

Back