Tesco Engine Oil

Not all oils are the same. If you can use it make sure it's compatible regards specification, if not walk away.

Think I'll stick to Castrol Edge 5w30. :)

Yes, it's 5w/30 and states suitable for VW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. I've used it for the last few oil changes. I don't mind the puffs of blue smoke when changing gear..(joking).

From memory it needs to be VW/Audi grade 507.00 5/30 f/s. I used 504.00 (a lot cheaper) in my last car and it didn't seem as quiet afterwards so will only ever be using 507.00 from now on.

From memory it needs to be VW/Audi grade 507.00 5/30 f/s. I used 504.00 (a lot cheaper) in my last car and it didn't seem as quiet afterwards so will only ever be using 507.00 from now on.

As far as I am aware, all oils that meet the 504.00 spec also meet the 507.00 spec (all the ones that we have do and I've not seen different from other companies), so it's likely to be that the car didn't like the oil that you used last time for some reason.

Cheers

Tim

... it's 5w/30 ...

The SAE rating is only a small part of the specification of the oil. The important part is whether or not it is compliant with whatever the appropriate spec for your engine (507.00 for a TDI, etc, as Steve says). If it is, it should be printed on the container. If it is not, then it shouldn't be used. Unfortunately the Tesco website doesn't specify what the oil is good for. It may well be suitable, but if they don't tell you, then you've got no way to know until you have the bottle in your hand.

507.00 is spec relevant for the TDI engine on a longlife service interval, 505.01 is the normal-service interval TDI oil I think?, 506.01 is the low-viscosity variant for the bluemotions, 504.00 is the spec for the petrol on a longlife interval, etc. One oil may be compliant for many different specs. 507.00 and 504.00 are the 'gold standard' in most cases.

Take a look at the chart linked below.
http://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/vw_motor_oil_specifications_explained.php

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, all oils that meet the 504.00 spec also meet the 507.00 spec (all the ones that we have do and I've not seen different from other companies), so it's likely to be that the car didn't like the oil that you used last time for some reason.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks for that, you learn somehting new every day.

Back