The Complete Bulb Replacement List

wilco184

Member of the year 2015
Hi,

I've been in the process of changing a few bulbs to LED's recently, and I figured that the following list would be useful compiled into one place. All of the information is available on the forum, but it's useful to have it all together. :)

Exterior:

Dipped headlight beam - H7
Main headlight beam - H3
Front fog lights - H7
Sidelights - W3W 504
Indicators (front and back) - PY21W
Indicators (sides) - WY5W 501
Brake/tail lights - P21/5W
Reverse light - P21W
Fog light (rear) - P21W
Number plate lights - C5W (38MM Festoon)

Interior:

Front interior light (centre) - C10W (42MM Festoon)
Front interior light (sides) - BA9S
Vanity mirror lights - C5W (38MM Festoon)
Glovebox light - W5W 501
Rear interior light - C5W (38MM Festoon)
Boot light - W5W 501

Regards,

Matt. :p

Hi folks,

Does anyone on here have a link for stop/tail light bulbs that actually work in an A2? As I've now ordered two set that look exactly the same as the original ones I'm removing. I've checked polarity etc and everything seems fine until I install them, turn on the sidelights and all that works is the brake side of the bulb if I wiggle it about in the holder. Demented.com

Try this vehicle lamp finder on Osram's site, it is, though, just a standard P21/5W stop/tail lamp bulb.... There's an image so you can compare with what you have already.

I usually buy my bulbs from here...

Good luck! ?

Hi folks,

Does anyone on here have a link for stop/tail light bulbs that actually work in an A2? As I've now ordered two set that look exactly the same as the original ones I'm removing. I've checked polarity etc and everything seems fine until I install them, turn on the sidelights and all that works is the brake side of the bulb if I wiggle it about in the holder. Demented.com
I reckon that you have the bulbs in the wrong way around. Try turning them 180 degrees.

Thanks for that I'll have a look. Both sets I bought were the correct bulbs for the car and look/work exactly the same when tested on a battery they just don't work when fitted to the car.

I reckon that you have the bulbs in the wrong way around. Try turning them 180 degrees.
I've had 2 or 3 attempts at getting them to work but they only seem to fit one way and if I put the original bulbs back in they work perfectly

The A2 Stop/tail holders will let you insert the bulbs the wrong way around if you are not careful. Look at the pins and make sure that the pins match the bulb holder before you insert them. Look at the internal layout of the bulb holder and ensure that the pins on the bulb match that.

I am pretty sure that they are in the wring way around.
Steve B

I did try turning it 180 degrees but it didn't want to seat properly but hey you've inspired me to have another go at it :D I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks Steve.

The A2 Stop/tail holders will let you insert the bulbs the wrong way around if you are not careful. Look at the pins and make sure that the pins match the bulb holder before you insert them. Look at the internal layout of the bulb holder and ensure that the pins on the bulb match that.

I am pretty sure that they are in the wring way around.
Steve B

Hi Steve,

I had another go at these bulbs without success. They look and seem exactly the same as the standard one I'm taking out but even checking which way they come out, putting them in the same way then as you suggested try turning them 180 degrees all I get is the tail light working (it could be the brake light I didn't have anyone there to check) but when I press the brake pedal I get a bulb out warning on the DIS but put the old bulb back in everything works perfect first time every time.

I'm at a loss with it, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong o_O

Some LED tail light bulbs have minuscule locating pins, perhaps they're not sitting correctly in the holder?

As an aside, I replaced the indicator bulbs last week and had an intermittent connection - this was caused by the bottom lug not being in full contact with the bulb, I pulled it up slightly and now it's working fine.

Hi Steve,

I had another go at these bulbs without success. They look and seem exactly the same as the standard one I'm taking out but even checking which way they come out, putting them in the same way then as you suggested try turning them 180 degrees all I get is the tail light working (it could be the brake light I didn't have anyone there to check) but when I press the brake pedal I get a bulb out warning on the DIS but put the old bulb back in everything works perfect first time every time.

I'm at a loss with it, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong o_O
Apologies if I missed this though are you using LED or traditional tungsten lamps? Having had issues with brake lamps (albeit self inflicted due to LED install) I've resorted to wedging a pole between the seat and brake pedal. I'm not exactly handy (Hamilton) though happy to help, even easier when I visit my sister in Hillend/Dalgety.

Apologies if I missed this though are you using LED or traditional tungsten lamps? Having had issues with brake lamps (albeit self inflicted due to LED install) I've resorted to wedging a pole between the seat and brake pedal. I'm not exactly handy (Hamilton) though happy to help, even easier when I visit my sister in Hillend/Dalgety.

It's led's I'm trying to fit but I'm putting it down to the cheap bulbs as I can get the normal bulbs to work no problem so it's not me or the bulb holder that's at fault.

Thanks for the offer but I've usually got someone here to give me a hand, I couldn't get them working correctly anyway so wasn't to bothered.

Some LED tail light bulbs have minuscule locating pins, perhaps they're not sitting correctly in the holder?

As an aside, I replaced the indicator bulbs last week and had an intermittent connection - this was caused by the bottom lug not being in full contact with the bulb, I pulled it up slightly and now it's working fine.

I've tried all the tricks to get them to work but nothing seems to make any difference I'm putting it down to the actual bulbs

It's led's I'm trying to fit but I'm putting it down to the cheap bulbs as I can get the normal bulbs to work no problem so it's not me or the bulb holder that's at fault.

Thanks for the offer but I've usually got someone here to give me a hand, I couldn't get them working correctly anyway so wasn't to bothered.
I've used these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Osram-1457...&psc=1&ref_=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o1_img
Though while they do work, the load is insufficient and I was getting lamp failure warning (glow plug light). I'm currently running one of these and one tungsten while awaiting a proper solution.

I need to replace a failed tail light P21/5W. Looking at this online shop all the LEDs are not for road use; I wonder can anyone explain why?

Also they are available in red/amber/white. Should I fit red or white?

Thank you, Andrew

Back