The End?

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, with 'only' 143k miles on the clock, I think that today could have seen the end of Tank. At the very least, it'll mean a transplant.

Was pulling away from some traffic lights and the engine suddenly and drastically lost power - thought at first it was just a vacuum pipe that had gone, putting the car into limp mode, which has happened once before around 8 months ago.

However, there was developing rattle and loads of white smoke from the exhaust.

Managed to limp the car home and have parked up for the time being. When my wife dropped me into work, we passed the spot where the power loss happened and there was a large black sooty streak on the road - not oily, but sooty.

First impression was turbo failure. Second was top end failure, but the cam belt and water pump were done in Feb this year and will be fine (however I've not looked). As the car ran (but clattered) for a mile or so back home, I doubt it's something too catastrophic in nature, but I could be wrong.

Not having the time to look into the repair myself, who would you recommend these days to look after the job of nursing Tank back to full health? WOM? Stealth? Any others?

Step one is obviously finding out what the issue is. Step 2 is rectifying the matter. It'll cost more than the car is worth in all probability, but as there's so much time invested in Tank, I want to get him going again.

A sad day.

Just checked and actually, it was around 3 miles that he limped back, clattering and smoking. Even had control and poise enough to do a three point turn before parking up at the house, so I really doubt it's as catastrophic as it sounded and looked with the plumes of smoke.!!

Hi Michael,

I'm sorry to hear about Tank. He's a good friend of yours, so I'm pleased you're not giving up on him.

Marcus at WOM has rebuilt a few TDI90s recently, finishing one only a couple of week ago. Needless to say, he knows them down to the last washer.

Beyond the misfortune with Tank, I hope all's well.

Tom

Had a similar problem with a polo 1.6 petrol i had many years ago. Turns out it was the baffles in rear box had come apart blocking the exhaust caused drastic loss of power and erratic idle.
Good luck

Hello Tom, thanks for your words.

Yes, Tank is probably my best buddy and I owe it to him to get him back to health again. Just comes at a bad time - the VFR holed the radiator on Weds and is also off the road, but that's in hand and should be done very soon.
Biggest issue I'll have is towing Tank down there - via the A roads of Cheshire. The Jaguar doesn't have a tow bar and the rear eye is only meant for lashing purposes when being transported.

I'll get him going - just hope that the turbo hasn't let go and entered the engine at all - there was a heck of a lot of clattering from the engine bay!!

As to everything else, then yes, all tickety-boo (Honda aside!). Family is doing really well and we are so looking forward to our first family Xmas.

Been looking through the marketplace for a temp replacement A2 for winter, but there seem to be so very few diesels around. And adverts are seldom updated I see when sold. I presume Hilary's is gone?

Last edited:
Had a similar problem with a polo 1.6 petrol i had many years ago. Turns out it was the baffles in rear box had come apart blocking the exhaust caused drastic loss of power and erratic idle.
Good luck
This won't apply here Steve - Tank has a full stainless system with a straight through silencer. It will be the turbo and/or the top end of the engine.

Eeek, that doesn't sound good. However, as you're aware, it's all just metal bits and pieces and can all be fixed.

From what I understand, the greatest issue with repairing TDI90s is if the bottom half of the engine gets damaged. The lower compression ratio of the TDI90 means there are parts from the more common TDI75 that can't be used as replacements, such as the pistons. Basically, finding parts can be a challenge. However, as far as I know, the cylinder head is identical to the TDI75 - it's just that the '90 uses higher-flowing fuel injectors.
I'm fairly sure WOM have some (used) TDI90 pistons in stock, and finding a decent head shouldn't be too difficult.

WOM also have the ability to rescue cars using their trailer. Given that you're not a million miles away, getting Tank to their workshop shouldn't be too big a deal.

Yes, Hilary's 'Grey2' sold a few weeks ago. I know this only because I'm regularly in touch with her. I don't really keep an eye on the marketplace at all - I spend a vast majority of my A2OC time replying to PMs and such. However, I'm aware that finding a decent TDI isn't easy these days. That said, the garage down the road from Hilary's place in Leeds currently have a Sprint Blue Colour.Storm TDI75 in stock. I think they took it in part payment or something like that. They're currently sat on the fence between selling it and using it as a customer courtesy car. It may be a decent set of temporary wheels for you, though I've not seen it and cannot comment on its condition. It's probably worth getting Tank to WOM and finding out exactly what the problem is before this issue is given any serious thought.

Good to hear that you're all settled and looking forward to a familial Christmas. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Well, given that he travelled around 3 miles back home, at a steady 25-30mph, I don't particularly think that there's any great engine damage. If there is, I may well investigate having a TDi75 engine (and associated ECU) replaced - never been a fan of the DMF setup and there really are few benefits to the 90 engine over the 75. Or, I may look into the 2 litre TDi lump - plenty of these around now and they shouldn't be hard to fit.

I'll mail WOM tomorrow and take it from there. I am only around the corner from Awesome, but they don't strike me as being as enthusiast biased as WOM - plus they're far more into VW too.

I may well look into the Leeds CS - but it would only be a temp replacement until Tank is back.

Terribly sorry to hear your news Michael. The legend Tank is indeed like a family member to you and is similarly well thought of within the club by its members.

Hoping this is not terminal, sounds more promising the more I've read, wishing you both all the best.

Not good to read --- its a good sign it drove home so lets hope its not affected the internals of the engine and its just a turbo gone bang. It has been saved before and im sure that stealth or indeed WOM can get it it sorted. cheers mike

Any light on the dash Mike ?
Does sound like turbo failure to me but near impossible to be accurate without seeing it
A compression test would speak volumes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutching at straws here but any fault codes stored which may give a clue to the series of events - like sudden loss of turbo boost

Cheers Spike

Thanks for all the kind words guys and the messages too - I’ll get round to replying when I know more.

At work till midnight and so won’t get a chance to scan Tank till tomorrow.

In terms of symptoms felt, there was no bang, but power suddenly went at around 3500rpm in first gear then took ages to get up to 40 and wouldn’t really go faster. Clattering started around 1/2 mile later - thought it was on the radio at first, but it wasn’t. It was then that the exhaust smoke became apparent and so I turned around and limped home.

As Tom says, it’s only metal that can be put right again. Would be nice to keep costs down and limit work to just the turbo, but if it’s more involved, then we’ll see what WOM can do. Trouble is that all A2 engines are now approaching 100k and more if it comes to using a donor. So are 1.9TDi units. I can only see a 1.6TDi or 2.0TDi being viable. Let’s see what the new week brings.

Thanks all again.

Hi Michael, sorry to hear about your Tank.

I have used Audi Doctor in Hazel Grove since buying my A2 TDI 90 in 2009. I cannot recommend them highly enough.
https://audidoctor.co.uk
Phone: 0161 487 3770
Mobile: 07932 466 310

24 Hope Street, Stockport, SK7 4EL

James Lowick is the proprietor.

Andrew

I feel your pain ...

WOM Autos have fully rebuilt my TDI 90 engine following its crankshaft snapping at 173 K
the end results are amazing , but so was the invoice , WOM have a tame chap that recovers cars , and transports onwards to them ,if the funds allowed I would fully recommend them

The difference from the old engine to the rebuilt is massive !

Pm Me if you want a idea of the cost ...

Hi Mike, very sorry to hear that Tank is ill. Wish I could help. It sounds like turbo related to me, hope its a relatively simple fix. I only have TDi 75 engine block with 100k on it I think, it does need the oil chain and tensioner replacing.
Let us know how it's going.

Sarge

Hi Michael

Sorry to hear about Tank and hope you'll be able to get him back to top condition again eventually.

Just like to add my praise of WOM Automotive. Marcus replaced the turbo on Grey2 last year and I was delighted with all the work.

Good luck and best wishes

Hilary

Back