The Head Unit Thread

mars

Hi!
I had a couple questions about Audi A2 head units, modifications, compatibility, adapters, and all that - and I realized, while looking for answers to them, that information on the topic is frustratingly decentralized. So I felt I should pay back the forum that gave it to me at all with an effort to centralize it. As such, this thread is intended to collect all useful information for people looking to install, change or upgrade head units or accessories.
If such a thread already exists, do tell, and apologies for not having found it before posting this.
This is a draft that I will work on in the coming days by editing this post. If any of you can think of relevant information to add to it, or instruction threads to link within it, please post them in reply to this or message them to me.

Sizes
A2 stereos were split between 1 DIN (Chorus and Concert) and 2 DIN (Symphony, and, later on, Navigation Plus). If this ever gets read by those unaware: DIN is an industry standard for radio sizes, with a set width and height. The number preceding the name indicates how many times that height the unit is tall (0.5, 1, 1.5, or 2).
If you have a 2 DIN unit, physically fitting a 1 DIN is pretty easy, you just remove the stereo and replace it with a 1 DIN unit putting a storage DIN to fill in the space.
If you have a 1 DIN unit, however, physically fitting a 2 DIN is pretty hard because there are slots in place between the DINs, so you must either replace the dash or cut them and rivet a head unit cage to the structure, and since the dash curves at the bottom the AC control panel has to be either replaced or cut to size.

OEM Units
Gen I stereos (fitted up to 2001):
  • Chorus I (tape deck)
10385491_chorus.jpg

• Concert I (tape deck with Dolby B, station scan, and other extra features)
concert_old.jpg

• Symphony I (tape deck and CD player)
DSC05430__21046.1374010018.jpg

Gen II stereos (fitted since 2002):
  • Chorus 2 (tape deck)
audi-auto-radio-chorus-2-nachruesten-bluetooth-freisprecheinrichtung-usb.jpg

• Concert 2 (CD player)
concert_new.jpg

• Symphony 2 (tape deck and integrated 6-disc CD changer)
96758477_symphony_ii.jpg

All but the Chorus I have an external port. This was used to connect the units to a CD changer installed in the trunk, but can now be used, through various available adapters, to connect any external music source you wish, and even, with the right one, allow you to use your stereo for hands-free calling - in some cases even retaining the ability to connect a factory CD changer.

Wiring-wise, swapping between Chorus II and Concert II is a straight, plug and play swap.

Things I know where to find but have to get around to:
- Link 2 DIN upgrade threads and viable adapters

Things I need your help with:
- Information about the Navigation Plus units
- Info about other swaps wiring-wise (Gen I to Gen II, RNS-E, etc.)
And of course, the questions I had to begin with:
- Users of Connects2 and Yatour Aux/Bt/Sd adapters, is it actually true that a single press on the CDCC button will select the adapter and a double press will select CD changer passthrough?
- Is there a 1 DIN changer such as the one below that's plug-and-play compatible with Gen II CD changer ports, and, given some dremeling, would fit in the dash's lowest DIN?
1643045146890.png

Attachments

• DSC05430__21046.1374010018.jpg
    DSC05430__21046.1374010018.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
For the missing images, did you save them to your PC/tablet/phone and then upload them to the post and insert? Cut & Paste of images doesn't always work unless its from elsewhere on this forum. The last one looks fine though.

For the missing images, did you save them to your PC/tablet/phone and then upload them to the post and insert?
I did in fact not!
Cut & Paste of images doesn't always work unless its from elsewhere on this forum. The last one looks fine though.
That's what puzzled me, it having been just as cut and pasted! But okay - I'll reupload them when I have the time
For a Bluetooth adapter with hands free I wouldn't recommend anything else other than this.

£35 delivered.

https://www.musikimauto.de/BlueMusic-Bluetooth-Audio-Freisprecheinrichtung-Audi-8pin-20pin
What I'm personally looking for is an adapter that:
- Has AUX + BT in
- Allows head unit controls
- Allows CDCC passthrough (however the priority of this depends on whether I can get an OEM in-dash CDCC)
I assume yours lacks an AUX in, if nothing else... I may have to reconsider the importance of that.

I did in fact not!

That's what puzzled me, it having been just as cut and pasted! But okay - I'll reupload them when I have the time

What I'm personally looking for is an adapter that:
- Has AUX + BT in
- Allows head unit controls
- Allows CDCC passthrough (however the priority of this depends on whether I can get an OEM in-dash CDCC)
I assume yours lacks an AUX in, if nothing else... I may have to reconsider the importance of that.

Ask and you shall receive. (Minus the CDC control) ?

Out of stock at the moment but keep checking, they do get stock in regularly.

https://www.musikimauto.de/BlueMusic-Bluetooth-USB-AUX-Freisprecheinrichtung-Audi-8pin-20pin

Ask and you shall receive. (Minus the CDC control) ?
You've got me wondering about USB to CDCC adapters... ?

EDIT: it took me around 15 seconds to realize that Google will absolutely never understand I mean something that adapts signal out a CD changer port into signal good for a USB in

EDIT 2: and some 85 to realize that I can just look for a CD changer port splitter, which I'm 99% sure is what the other BT adapters use. (...right?)

Last edited:
You've got me wondering about USB to CDCC adapters... ?

EDIT: it took me around 15 seconds to realize that Google will absolutely never understand I mean something that adapts signal out a CD changer port into signal good for a USB in

EDIT 2: and some 85 to realize that I can just look for a CD changer port splitter, which I'm 99% sure is what the other BT adapters use. (...right?)
The latest one I linked has usb playback and connects to the CDCC port.

The latest one I linked has usb playback....
See what I mean when I say no one will get it?

For how crazy it sounds, what I meant actually was somehow plugging a CD changer into that USB in port so that its audio would get through the cable, into the USB port, into the adapter, out the adapter into the head unit.

You see how stupid it was not to have thought to look for a port splitter?

See what I mean when I say no one will get it?

For how crazy it sounds, what I meant actually was somehow plugging a CD changer into that USB in port so that its audio would get through the cable, into the USB port, into the adapter, out the adapter into the head unit.

You see how stupid it was not to have thought to look for a port splitter?
Then you'd need an analogue to digital converter for the audio. Doubt you'll find anything.

If I may contribute, when looking for an alternative double din replacement (there was a Chinese Android DD installed, although good enough, it was bodged in ugly because it was designed for an A3) I came across a Seat Adagio DD from an Exeo. In essence it's an Audi Concert 2+

It needs some altering in size too, and ofcourse wiring is as per newer models a quadlock system. Wiring is sorted by doing measurements and searching the www, so now it's working by ignition on/off and illuminates on/off automatically when the lights are switched on or off.....
IMG_20220125_140827.jpg
IMG_20220125_140734.jpg

If I may contribute
Boy, may you! Contributions are the whole point of this :D
I came across a Seat Adagio DD from an Exeo. In essence it's an Audi Concert 2+
Noted!
It needs some altering in size too, and ofcourse wiring is as per newer models a quadlock system. Wiring is sorted by doing measurements and searching the www, so now it's working by ignition on/off and illuminates on/off automatically when the lights are switched on or off.....
If you have any thread exploring this in more detail, a name or link would be appreciated! :)
Oh, you just know I’d blast my ears off with volume 2x as loud as it needs to be because godDAMNIT THAT POWER SYMBOL IS GONNA STAY UPRIGHT
Other than that I love this head unit (though it’s merely biased from it being our old A4’s...)

Oh, you just know I’d blast my ears off with volume 2x as loud as it needs to be because godDAMNIT THAT POWER SYMBOL IS GONNA STAY UPRIGHT
Other than that I love this head unit (though it’s merely biased from it being our old A4’s...)
Spot on ?

Steering wheel remotes help with keeping the power symbol vertical. ?

@mars

Back in post 1 you asked for for further information on RNSE and this thread sprung to mind, similar to what you are trying to achieve but just for RNSE. While unfinished, you may like to finish it off!.

Andy
Evening Andy and @mars,

Providing a definitive RNS-E thread is something I’ve been meaning to do myself. I just need to find the time to build it and it’ll no doubt finish off what was started in the linked thread.

It’ll have everything I can possibly find from online sources plus personal experiences for installation and stripping them down for repair/parts replacement. It’ll also include the factory peripherals that can added to enhance their functionality.

Quite happy to see anyone else step in and produce such a thread though.

Kind regards,

Tom

Evening Andy and @mars,

Providing a definitive RNS-E thread is something I’ve been meaning to do myself. I just need to find the time to build it and it’ll no doubt finish off what was started in the linked thread.

It’ll have everything I can possibly find from online sources plus personal experiences for installation and stripping them down for repair/parts replacement. It’ll also include the factory peripherals that can added to enhance their functionality.

Quite happy to see anyone else step in and produce such a thread though.

Kind regards,

Tom
If complete, accurate, well-written threads about a given topic or subset exist I will gladly just link to them in the finished product: my priority is making a thread that will turn people looking for head unit info to people who've found it, and I don't really care, beyond optimizing the reading experience, just how that is achieved.

Updates:
I'll reupload them when I have the time
I've now loaded the images as per instructions - they should be good.
Is there a 1 DIN changer such as the one below that's plug-and-play compatible with Gen II CD changer ports, and, given some dremeling, would fit in the dash's lowest DIN?
I have, since writing, realized the CD changer I was asking about could just be fitted in the middle DIN with the AC controls moving to the lower one - updating the question to "Will any such CD changer plug straight into a Chorus II and fit in the dash at all?"

Back