The inevitable has happened!

Howey

England
Well these A2's sure get under your skin and as I always thought I have succumbed to buying another!
Pics to follow but immediately I have a few issues!
N/S/F door doesn't lock but does make a noise so guessing the latched is goosed? All other doors lock but surprisingly opening the N/S/F door with all others locked doesn't make lights flash or alarm sound?
Noticed the Pillar fuel and interior motion button stay permanently illuminated locked or not?

Any help or hints gratefully received!

Cheers

Howey

If it's like the mk4 issue . It's a micro switch in the door actuator that lets the car know the state the door is in. Lock closed or open. At the min it thinks the door is open so won't lock.
Maybe the same on the a2 . Sure someone who has been more involved in the locks will know for sure.

If it's like the mk4 issue . It's a micro switch in the door actuator that lets the car know the state the door is in. Lock closed or open. At the min it thinks the door is open so won't lock.
Maybe the same on the a2 . Sure someone who has been more involved in the locks will know for sure.
My black one has intermittent o/s/r micro switch issue but always locks and unlocks without fail so I think it's more the latch but hey anything is possible lol

A quick obd/vcds ccu scan could reveal the issue.
Engine - 46.
Also if the ccu thinks the door is always open, it might be a parasite drain as well, so keep an eye on the battery voltage.

Will it lock from inside ? That would rule out latch ?
No just makes same noise

Interesting findings, car does not register when either o/s doors are open yet it would seem it thinks drivers door is constantly open without showing on dash but leaving interior lights on and the B pillar switches active, yet both lock and unlock fine, don't recall this failure state being acknowledged previously as usually drivers door micro switch fails and no power is sent to B pillar.

Car also grinds in 5th gear (which was the only fault stated) but a JDD should hopefully sort that

Ok disconnect the wiring plugs in the A and B pillars for all four doors. Carefully check for moisture and corrosion inside the plug halves and carefully clean if any found. There have been occasions where some wires in the proximity of the A & B pillar connectors have fractured so also check for that. Once this is OK then scan for the error codes and possible lock repair or replacement.
Does the alarm sound if the passenger door is opened and you get in the car? That will prove the ultrasonic part of the alarm is functional but the car has not sensed the door opening state. Unusual to have multiple locks with failed door open microswitch issues.

Have you tried a clutch fluid flush to see is that improves the 5th gear issue and selector cable adjustment?

Quick update

The drivers door sometimes is acknowledged as closed as it turns the interior light off but the b pillar switches remain illuminated

Alarm does should if you sit in it and shake about a bit

Not checked anything else yet

I have similar issue with passenger door not unlocking unless you turn the ignition on/off a few times, I wonder if its the micro switch in my case!!

I can warmly recommend consulting the club guru of all these niggles @timmus. It's a not unpleasent drive up to Lancs, or he has an annual pilgrimage to Leighton Buzzard.

Thank you for the kind words, chaps.
Tom, if you’re happy to place the car under my nose, I’ve no doubt I can fix it. I’ve seen hundreds upon hundreds of A2s with similar issues and have yet to be defeated.

Cheers,

Tom

Thank you for the kind words, chaps.
Tom, if you’re happy to place the car under my nose, I’ve no doubt I can fix it. I’ve seen hundreds upon hundreds of A2s with similar issues and have yet to be defeated.

Cheers,

Tom
Many thanks Tom
Its a project and not on the road yet I will do the basics and see if I get any joy then look into further options was only 3.5 mile away I had to buy it and the new house offers plenty of drive space so it was a no brainer (on paper at least lol)

I had a similar issue with my rear left doors. They would not lock, but clicking sound was heard. The problem was not in the lock itself, but in the door control module.

I had a similar issue with my rear left doors. They would not lock, but clicking sound was heard. The problem was not in the lock itself, but in the door control module.
Is the module the electronic part of the lock so did you replace the lock assembly to resolve the issue of is the module part of the window motor?

Door control modules are the boxes on the door that have all the looms connected into and are on the window motors. Remember to check the wiring plugs in the A and B pillars for water ingress and corrosion.

Door control modules are the boxes on the door that have all the looms connected into and are on the window motors. Remember to check the wiring plugs in the A and B pillars for water ingress and corrosion.
Yes I will check wiring plugs
Do swap the module is it just a case of door card off and 3 screws plus wiring plugs?

Good thinking, will swap that, already have a few of these.

The control modules do not need coding so a straight swap. One thing I am not 100% on is are rear controllers universal or are there units for manual windows and for electric rear windows. One the front the drivers door module is a master and the front passenger a slave unit.

Back