The joy of waxing - rain bubbles look arty ;)

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Recently washed and waxed my A2 for a talk I was giving on the vehicle. Today it rained and I couldn't resist taking a photo of rain bubbles while the wax was fresh. Looks very arty - maybe the Tate Modern would like to exhibit it LOL

Water droplets on A2.jpg

On the topic of water. Have you noticed after treating the windscreen with Rain X or similar the water actually runs up the windscreen whilst driving - very irritating ;)

Oh well, back to work .....

Last edited:
I use the same wax i use for the car body on the windscreen, I've driven in a heavy rain storm with out using the wiper, as you say it runs straight off :)

There is a certain satisfaction when you see the rain beading, I found these pics of mine earlier this year!
The storm at a mini meet at Robin and Maddies, and the opensky was after the kimbolton downpour during which time we all got rather cosy under the Gazebo lol!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 378
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 368
Hope you don't mind me asking Alan:
How long ago was your wax applied?
What wax did you use?
Did you polish first or use a pre-wax cleanser?

Hi Chris

I don't mind in the slightest you asking :) Let me say first that I'm not a detailing fanatic. Car gets a polish once, maybe twice per year.

I applied the wax last Monday and took the photo today. Earlier this year I gave the A2 a claying and it didn't need doing again.

I first washed with Simoniz High Performance shampoo and wax. I use a hose with a very soft brush attachment. I put the shampoo and wax in an old washing up bottle and squirt it onto the car in front of, or above, the brush. So it goes on quite generously, but then I don't wash the car that often!

Sometime I might dry with a Chamois leather but I'm not mad on them and this time there was a good wind to air dry the A2.

Next I applied Mer's The Ultimate Car Polish using an Autoglym cotton cloth (looks a bit like a muslin cloth). I apply it quite generously and it can be hard to polish if I do a too large an area and it gets left too many minutes before finishing (say two doors max at a time)

I then polished using a Microfibre Ultra-soft cloth - couldn't see a brand name on the packet but they are yellow.

Both the Simoniz and Mer products are at least 5 years old (big 5L bottles) so the formulations may have changed.

Hope this helps.

Hope you don't mind me asking Alan:
How long ago was your wax applied?
What wax did you use?
Did you polish first or use a pre-wax cleanser?

Hi Chris,
Just for the record or anyone else interested, I clayed both my Yellow Storm and Cobalt Blue fsi's with the farcela body prep clay mitt, using Lucas slick mist spray for lubricant, followed by Autoglm super resin polish, then topped up with Ioncoat Naviwax, this is pure carnuba so no residue left and so can be applied to windows and trim alike! Just not the windscreen otherwise the wiper drags!
The clay mitt is a joy to use as there is no fear of dropping it!
Hope this helps anyone out!
Cheers Jeff
wax.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Chris

I don't mind in the slightest you asking :) Let me say first that I'm not a detailing fanatic. Car gets a polish once, maybe twice per year.

I applied the wax last Monday and took the photo today. Earlier this year I gave the A2 a claying and it didn't need doing again.

I first washed with Simoniz High Performance shampoo and wax. I use a hose with a very soft brush attachment. I put the shampoo and wax in an old washing up bottle and squirt it onto the car in front of, or above, the brush. So it goes on quite generously, but then I don't wash the car that often!

Sometime I might dry with a Chamois leather but I'm not mad on them and this time there was a good wind to air dry the A2.

Next I applied Mer's The Ultimate Car Polish using an Autoglym cotton cloth (looks a bit like a muslin cloth). I apply it quite generously and it can be hard to polish if I do a too large an area and it gets left too many minutes before finishing (say two doors max at a time)

I then polished using a Microfibre Ultra-soft cloth - couldn't see a brand name on the packet but they are yellow.

Both the Simoniz and Mer products are at least 5 years old (big 5L bottles) so the formulations may have changed.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for replying Alan
A couple of things:
1. Wax content in Shampoos does very little..so worth considering another (Meguiars Gold class Shampoo is fantastic)
2. Consider ditching the brush from your wash regime and use a microfiber or sheepskin washmitt or pad instread
3. Chammy leather can cause damage..another one to replace with MF Drying towel
4. Your beading picture shows very flat and irregular beading. This is a good sign that the protection level is failing or just not good enough..It could be that your Mer 'Polish' is too old
I would apply a good wax over the top of it......So many to choose from..Collinite is best if you don't want to apply it often..Good over winter...Prices are £15 to £25 for Collinite

If you need any more help..Just ask
Cheers
Chris

Your beading picture shows very flat and irregular beading. This is a good sign that the protection level is failing or just not good enough..It could be that your Mer 'Polish' is too old

Wow! I don't think you'll find many folk around here with your attention to detail Chris. I thought Alan's roof looked pretty good so I'm educated to the science of the beads. I didn't know wax degrades with age either. Big school day.

Still to try my new Fusso wax light on the new Skoda. The polishing cloths would get blown away in Scotland at the current time. When I get round to it I will post a few pics so you can appraise my beads. :D

Brilliant and thanks for sharing your expertise.

Wow! I don't think you'll find many folk around here with your attention to detail Chris. I thought Alan's roof looked pretty good so I'm educated to the science of the beads. I didn't know wax degrades with age either. Big school day.

Still to try my new Fusso wax light on the new Skoda. The polishing cloths would get blown away in Scotland at the current time. When I get round to it I will post a few pics so you can appraise my beads. :D

Brilliant and thanks for sharing your expertise.
I guess that's what the difference is between a Detailer and a Valeter Murdo....LOL
As far as I know polishes can degrade with age..They certainly do once applied. Wax is a little more durable
Fusso is a nice wax. Not a good day for application though, unless youre inside!!

Thanks for the hints Chris

1. The shampoo was a prize from a draw at the A2OC meet at Castle Combe some years back, as was the polish
2. The brush is very soft and being used at the end of a hose means a good flow of lubricating water. I cringe when I see people washing cars with 1 bucket of water, even if soapy.
3. MF Drying cloth sounds good
4. I'll get some wax like Collinite

Thanks again.

Tried MF, the sponge is far preferable. MF gets filthy and holds onto the dirt, sponge doesn't and there's absolutely no difference in terms of cleaning efficiency or swirl marks (based on about four years of using ONR).

Optimum No Rinse - one bucket and a grout sponge, no swirls.

But its the potential (actual?) grit that doesn't get washed out of the sponge (or gets back onto the sponge on a subsequent immersion in the bucket) that concerns me.

Agree that it takes a leap of faith, but it certainly isn't like washing with a brush. From Optimum:

"The way NRWS (No Rinse Wash & Shine) works without a presoak or rinsing is because the substantive polymers bond to the paint quickly to keep the surface lubricated, emulsify and encapsulate dirt to prevent maring, and leave behind a polymer shine. In order to do that, the encapsulation process will allow large, harmful particles to sink to the bottom of your bucket, and the smaller, soluble particles will actually be broken down so small that they are tiny enough to be pulled into the fibers of your wash mitt. That is why you need a detergent/degreaser to make them release. That isn't necessary with tradition shampoos because they are usually nothing more than soap and don't provide the level of safety that NRWS does.

The good news is that the stains are not harmful in any way. Particles small enough to be absorbed by the fibers are not a danger. One thing many have discovered is that foam wash media does not stain to the level that microfiber does. We offer the Opti Mitt for this very reason. It is made from the same soft foam used in high quality foam finishing pads so it is very safe and effective with No Rinse or traditional washes".

http://optimumforums.org/index.php?showtopic=2210

Too big a leap of faith for me I'm afraid. I will stick to 2 bucket method with micro fibre mitt and lots of water. Fortunately for me hose pipe bans aren't a regularity in Scotland. Plus I've just bought one of those snow foam thingys and it's great fun!!

Autoglym Super Resin Polish on this occasion
Quite good as a paint cleanser......It also has a small amount of Sealant in it , but its not durable
I would apply some wax on top for prolonged durability and added protection

Back