The old poor reception chestnut...

audinaut

A2OC Donor
Hiya, I've been trawling through the various old threads about poor radio reception in A2s and wondered if there is a recent update that I may have overlooked, or a solution someone has come up with. Our previous Y-reg A2 didn't suffer at all, but our 2003 tin roofer has no AM reception and FM flutters/drops all over the place when driving unless the signal is super strong. I've just had the Concert CD/radio out to fit an AUX adapter and the connections on the back seem fine, so I'm wondering where exactly the aerial runs on it's way to the back window and if anyone has overcome the problem but other methods, hiding an makeshift aerial or replacing the booster or something? :confused:

Hi,
I had the same problem, and found that the car was running an aftermarket aerial/booster. Reception was awful.
Someone on here suggested replacing the aerial amp (diversity unit) Its in the boot under floor cover far right corner. I removed mine and it was obvious it was burnt out. Bought a 2nd hand replacement from ebay for £24 (price can be much higher, just wait until one comes up at a decent level) plugged it in and hey presto been ace since.
hope this helps LEE

Thanks for the info Lee, thats great, I'll have a hunt for the that tonight and see if thats the problem. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I get very variable reception. Sone days clear as a bell other days it can be rubbish.
This happens even though I have upgraded to an RNS-E.

Checked all connections on the tailgate when the cover was off and everything was fine.

I just put it down to atmospheric conditions. But I am not sure about that.

But I mainly listen to the music on the SD cards lately so it doesn't really bother me much.

Steve B

I had the same problem with mine and it was the back window so had a new one and has been fine.
A way to check is if you get a hissing with the rear window on then it's the window that needs replacing.
Cheers Robin

Hope it's not the back window itself, the defroster works OK. Will check the hissing thing… grabbed a diversity from ebay, so see if replacing that makes any difference to the reception.

Power antenna need a power supply that connected to Arial cable behind the radio. You can buy this from halford. Please see the picture. Little blue cable need 12v power supply
PC5-90.jpg

Cool, that might be my next port of call if the new diversity unit doesn't work out, mostly just listen to the ipod, but the odd time need Radio 2 and 4, and then the AM for the footy. Otherwise wouldn't bother.

Well, finally found the time to have a rummage and solve this one, new Diversity in hand, cleared out the boot, unbolted the little caddy thing the unit clips too, and lifting it out, quite obvious ...the aerial connector had rattled loose somehow, plugged it back in and bingo. All good! Why did I only check the connections on the other end of the array? At least I didn't pay Audi price for the unneeded part. Laugh.

Last edited:
Back