This was 'changed' last year?

Hi folks,

While having a good look around Lyra yesterday I seen this nice crack / split in the drivers side wishbone.. looked back at the paperwork and this was apparently changed last year so not happy about that BS. Anyway recommendations would be good so I can get one ordered.

Cheers Luke

Screenshot_20220831-153052_Gallery.jpg

birtyA2

Iโ€™m sorry but that doesnโ€™t look in any way just one year old! This is one of the more recent pressed steel wishbones which appear to have a reputation for rotting out like this. Earlier models had cast iron wishbone which by my understanding are more robust. I would look at changing out for cast iron ones asap. There have been a number of forum posts where these pressed steel one have completely broken

audifan

A2OC Donor
Well if that was "changed" last year it was for a well used part...

Yes the pressed wishbone do corrode but not in my opinion a reason to replace them with cast wishbones. Firstly you would need to replace both sides as you can not have pressed on one side and cast on the other. Secondly the pressed wishbone is universal in that it can be used on either side of the car and the separate ball joint bolted on as needed.

Do not listen to the horror stories as the car will probably be legalised off the road before a replacement pressed wishbone has corroded through.

Something like this is what is required....

CrispyEdd

Oh my word that's ready to snap!! I wouldn't feel happy driving that other to the nearest garage!! I'm with @audifan in that the pressed ones do wear out quicker but surely ten years or so is plenty ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks for everyones reply. It was a nasty shock, I will be taking a tripped along to the garage that apparently replaced it with my paper work and having some words. The car hasn't moved since it was discovered just incase it does snap so I will get one ordered and replaced๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

Robin_Cox

Have you looked at the other side? Reason for asking is that if it is obviously new, there is a possibility that it was replaced when the one on that side was similar to this, but that the mechanic has confused which side it was when writing it up. Best of luck getting this fixed asap Luke! Robin

Have you looked at the other side? Reason for asking is that if it is obviously new, there is a possibility that it was replaced when the one on that side was similar to this, but that the mechanic has confused which side it was when writing it up. Best of luck getting this fixed asap Luke! Robin
Yes I checked the other side just to be sure it wasn't a mix up or confusion on the paperwork like mentioned, although it isn't as bad as this one it for sure was not changed last year either so I am considering changing them both just for peace of mind. Cheers ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

longdog

Audifan said:

Yes the pressed wishbone do corrode but not in my opinion a reason to replace them with cast wishbones. Firstly you would need to replace both sides as you can not have pressed on one side and cast on the other. Secondly the pressed wishbone is universal in that it can be used on either side of the car and the separate ball joint bolted on as needed.
I have to replace my pressed wishbones in the not too distant future, and my thinking is much the same as Audifan's. My idea was to treat the new ones with some sort of wax in the hope of prolonging their life a little. Is the labour involved in fitting pressed wishbones the same as for cast ones?

Tomscar

I have to replace my pressed wishbones in the not too distant future, and my thinking is much the same as Audifan's. My idea was to treat the new ones with some sort of wax in the hope of prolonging their life a little. Is the labour involved in fitting pressed wishbones the same as for cast ones?
Hi longdog, yes it should be exactly the same.

Howey

Bonus with pressed is the bolt on ball joint
I have a pair of firstline ones as insurance but i think the napa ones would be exactly the same but cheaper