Thoughts on selling my A2

Pete@sheff

Hi all,

I am reluctantly parting with my 2004 A2 1.6 fsi after it spectacularly failed it’s MOT recently. I think I bought a dud despite its low mileage (82k).

I have already spent quite a lot on it (over £1500) trying to sort various problems out with it (yellow engine light related) and have replaced all but the NOX sensor.

Webuyanycar have offered £370 for it and frankly, given the trouble I’ve had with the car, I’ll probably accept that.

I hate doing this as I really love the design. I previously had a 1.4tdi version for 7 years without a fault and changed to the petrol version for environmental reasons

Any advice? Am I doing the right thing?

Pete

Hi Pete I would be interested in your 1.6 FSI for my next project car :)

I’d probably advise buying a 1.4 petrol they are less hassle :);)

If you are interested in selling to me let me know and I can send you a PM :)

Sorry to hear that you've 'reached the end of your tether' with the 1.6. I'm not in a position to offer advice but would suggest that you list the MOT failure items (and advisories) so that more experienced members can give you their advice.

From what I have read on here Pete, an FSI requires deep pockets; endless patience; or more usually both.
As above list the issues on here before you throw in the towel. You might be close to a working car; you might not be.
To an enthusiast on here your car should be worth more than a derisory ‘webuyanycar’ valuation - particularly if it has been subject to significant recent expense.
Mike

Sorry to hear your story. I am planning on replacing my TDI at some point for similar reasons.
Our car is the only car so we will go for the 1.4 petrol. Reliable and a well known VW group engine.

Sorry to hear your story. I am planning on replacing my TDI at some point for similar reasons.
Our car is the only car so we will go for the 1.4 petrol. Reliable and a well known VW group engine.
I’m not sure I understand that the tdi engine especially in 75bhp guise is a totally reliable engine and a lot more torquey and economical than the 1.4 petrol you want to change to for economic reasons .,?..have I missed something obvious .

I’m not sure I understand that the tdi engine especially in 75bhp guise is a totally reliable engine and a lot more torquey and economical than the 1.4 petrol you want to change to for economic reasons .,?..have I missed something obvious .
I think the word used was not 'economic' but 'environmental'. - Andy

Sympathy with the way thing have turned out, but perhaps a salutary reminder to all that low mileage (82k) is no guarantee of anything; how a car has been maintained is far more important (and the honesty of the seller). That said I am struggling a little to see what would warrant an expenditure of £1500+. To give a considered answer to your question it would be helpful to know what work has been undertaken as well as the items in the spectacular MOT failure list.

Andy

Yes - environmental reasons as cities are increasingly unhappy with diesel. It is a shame as our Tdi works perfectly on a 164k mileage (other's have a lot more than this).
pete@sheff I don't want to encourage you to throw more money at it but have you thought of taking your car to an A2 expert? A possible could be WOM in Stoke, as you may be £hundreds away from a perfectly working Fsi. Also experienced people on here - show the MOT failure list and get a sense of how much and is it possible to fix.
Cheers - I love the Fsi but as a one family car I dare not...

Back