Tie rod end confusion

Disco Stu

Hi all
Wondered if anybody could help us out? Noticed that the track rod / tie rod end had too much play in it (quest to find the source of rattling) and promptly bought a replacement- However the replacement seems to be for the drivers side and not the passenger side. After I queried the parts guys they are informing me what I bought was the correct one and the parts numbers (from the internet) are showing that I bought the correct part.
Can anybody shed any light on what is wrong if anything / and any part numbers that relate to this..

FYI it’s the (UK) passenger side and it’s a 2002 1.tdi

Attachments

• 77E6A927-E71D-4AA5-AE04-6C57A5EB1DDE.jpeg
    77E6A927-E71D-4AA5-AE04-6C57A5EB1DDE.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 411
Based on my 1.2Tdi being 1N6, I assume a 1.4Tdi is 1N2. Therefore 8Z0423811A for left and 8Z0423812A for right.

RAB

Thanks those are the part numbers I had, just wanted to make sure. I did quote the part number of 8Z0423811A and they are stating that Moog part number VO-ES-1507 refers, as can be seen it isn’t the same part!

Attachments

• 653F737A-8143-40C9-AF6A-6546026C6F86.jpeg
    653F737A-8143-40C9-AF6A-6546026C6F86.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 253
Thanks those are the part numbers I had, just wanted to make sure. I did quote the part number of 8Z0423811A and they are stating that Moog part number VO-ES-1507 refers, as can be seen it isn’t the same part!

You have a drivers side there you need 8Z0423812A for the near side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a drivers side there you need 8Z0423812A for the near side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s the first time I have heard that 8Z0423812A is for passenger side which goes against what the parts guys are saying and the parts catalogue is saying unless they are different somewhere?
Parts cat

Hi I had a similar issue the passenger side left hand on a TDI 90 had a split boot I purchased a replacement part Apec not OEM but ok at short notice and when I compared to the part I removed it was different. The local parts guy checked the part against the marked part and box and said it was correct. He refunded the money, I managed to change the split boot but confused if I have to replace a part in the future. The picture shoes the new part on the left

Attachments

• IMG_20220129_120025_432.jpg
    IMG_20220129_120025_432.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 102
hello disco stu your picture shows the passenger side track rod end. it is the same as mine, never been changed, according to the lemforder catalogue it is a left side
8Z0 423 811A hope this helps

I had all sorts of issues with getting tie rods ends for my 2002 TDI. Incorrect ones in box, wrong side, etc etc. I had Lemforder ones from Autodoc & ECP and TRW ones from GSF... I concluded that although the Audi part numbers were correct, the Lemforder ones are either packaged wrongly or you have to order the right hand one to fit the left hand side of the car and vice versa. The GSF TRW ones did not match the part numbers shown on the TRW catalogue. Any pictures on google seemed contradictory which didn't help. However, I finally got it resolved, please see picture below and order these TRW ones !

JTE1049 for n/s (left hand side) & JTE 1048 for o/s (right hand side)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 14.18.39.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 14.18.39.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 129
Be wary though, Lemforder catalogue appears correct, but when I ordered from different sources they were wrong each time. Of course, they could have been someone else's returns, etc but I didn't think so. I think I ended up with x3 of one side and none of the other at one point. I was determined to get a matching set and hence went with the TRW ones which were correct...

I had all sorts of issues with getting tie rods ends for my 2002 TDI. Incorrect ones in box, wrong side, etc etc. I had Lemforder ones from Autodoc & ECP and TRW ones from GSF... I concluded that although the Audi part numbers were correct, the Lemforder ones are either packaged wrongly or you have to order the right hand one to fit the left hand side of the car and vice versa. The GSF TRW ones did not match the part numbers shown on the TRW catalogue. Any pictures on google seemed contradictory which didn't help. However, I finally got it resolved, please see picture below and order these TRW ones !

JTE1049 for n/s (left hand side) & JTE 1048 for o/s (right hand side)
They look good I have noticed GSF just have a basic and premium option are TRW versions the ones you get for premium

thanks for that, very helpful, I was just trying to clear up the left-side 8Z0 423 811A. and right-side 8Z0 423 812A confusion thing
as the 7 zap diagram shows a left-hand drive steering rack. any way thanks

Yes, I ordered the premium ones which were TRW - BUT these were incorrect as the part numbers were not the ones listed on the TRW website catalog for the A2 (although they looked similar). GSF did refund, but I would either phone them and get them to check the numbers now match or, as I did, get the correct ones off eBay...

For cars built as RHD or LHD, it's always potentially confusing to use NS/OS or passenger/driver side, even, it seems for manufacturers! RH or LH only!

RAB

Recently touched upon this again

Firstly for some reason it seems track rod ends on the A2 go from being fine to totally kaput in a few thousand miles!

As already mentioned it seems there is a load of mixed up information about which side fits which side even euros have them listed incorrectly and it's possible to get different sides in the same part numbered box which others have noted but I also found with moog brand! Not fitted any moog before but going by the awesome quality of their nuts (deep and flanged) I have high hopes!

To summarise if you need a track rod end, safest to buy a pair unless the pictured item is the exact one your receiving!!

Back