Timing belt advice

hunter

Hi All,
Best/ best value timing belt and water pump kit for a 52plate AMF 1.4 Tdi ?
Cheers
Ian

I have a 90 ATL and had mine done earlier this year.In my case a "gates" timing belt and water pump including tensioners and pulleys.Im sure you will get plenty of excellent advice on what to buy

I will only gift gates timing belt kits never had an issue with one in 35 years so in ain’t changing now
Would you really want to chance it with a ‘value’ belt that was made by who knows who
This is one critical part of the engine (belt tensioner water pump) that you don’t want to skimp on. It far more costly to repair an engine after the belt as snapped

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have used both gates and contitech kits and both have been very reliable, you would be fine with either of these

I n use a local motor factor but euro or gsf or even BBC amazon or eBay or AUTODOC

Remember you need the crank locking tool and the locking pin

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contitech here too. When I bought my AMF the belt was due beyond replacement for more then 7500km allready.... Drove it home with clenched buttocks.
Took the old one off and it was branded "Dayco" which managed to hold, despite being overdue, and looked almost new.......gave me second but positive thoughts about unknown/unfamiliar brands.
Still, I'm not taking a risk regarding timing belts......... So Conti or Gates it is. ?

Last edited:
I like SKF kits including water pump myself
Gone off gates with how they supply incorrect tensioners and water pumps in some kits and do gates even make there own water pumps?

I never change the studs either as heard far too many horror stories along with the last one a tried to remove sheared clean off in the head (luckily it was a scrap engine so no drama) of course like the belt its personal choice!!

I just did mine with the BOSCH Water Pump & Timing Belt Set from AutoDoc. I followed the guide in the fourm and noticed the comment on plastic/steel impellers. The BOSCH water pump had a plastic impeller. Will let you know if it was any good in about 10 years hopefully.
Didnt know bosch made belts/waterpumps, hopefully prove to be a good product
Does the seal on the waterpump sit on the body and so seal in the block or does seal sit against the block surface if you get me (vag tended to do two different types)

Didnt know bosch made belts/waterpumps, hopefully prove to be a good product
Does the seal on the waterpump sit on the body and so seal in the block or does seal sit against the block surface if you get me (vag tended to do two different types)
I can't remember. I nearly forgot to fit it! I think it fitted to the water pump the same way as the pump I removed.

I can't remember. I nearly forgot to fit it! I think it fitted to the water pump the same way as the pump I removed.
Oh yes they are not interchangable just asking for when i do mine!
Do you have the part number of the kit you fit?

Back