Too high emission P1176

Arildoss

Hi eweryone
I have got a problem with the emission on my 2002 A2 petrol. The EML comes on and the code is this:
P1176 - Rear O2S Correction Limit Obtained. It means that the emission is so high that it is over the limit of the O2 sensor.
So I wondered if anyone out there have any sugestion on what can be the cause of this. Or if anyone have had the same problem.
I changed the engine last summer and also the exhaust system (between the manifold and the backbox) and I dident get it properly sealed in the joints so I drowe with an exhaust leak for a while. I have tried to fix it and it is mouch better but I dont know if it is good enough or if there are some leakage somwhere else. There are a lot of reasons that can cause this but I know there is a lot of you who know a lot about these cars so I hope we can solve this.
When I did the engine last year I also changed both O2 sensors EGR valve air filter sparkplugs and so on...
I have also read that these type of engines (vacuum engines) are sensitive about vacuum leaks or leakage in the exhaust system so maby its somthing there?
Thought I should ask you before I start looking for the famous needle...

Hope I hear from some of you A2 gurus soon
Best reguards Arildoss

I would have thought that a leaking exhaust was the likely cause. I had P1178 showing up on my A2 when I bought it (Linear O2 Sensor - open circuit intermittent), along with a whole host of other codes not obviously related, but all resolved when I had a new stainless exhaust made.
Apart from anything else, leaks in that section of the exhaust will accelerate the ageing of the rear cat, which is definitely to be avoided.

Ok, I have checked the exhaust system and as i though, there was a leak. The leak is right after the cat and before the second O2 sensor (under the front seat just about).
My question is, can this be the cause of the p1176 code?
The leak wasent to big but it was wery easy to spot.

Arildoss

Yes, I know that is the best and only way to find out. I just wondered if this kind of leak could cause this.
I also struggling to get it propperly sealed. The best way is to get it welded so i think i take the whole thing to someone who can do it.

Back