Took a can opener to the car in the garage weekend ...?

It’s a pity for it all to be hidden ?
4597E5BD-45E6-45F7-8F97-9FC53D2AABC7.jpeg

I owned one....just look at how cramped is the engine bay, it was a nightmare every time you had to access some mechanical part. One of the greatest cars ever, though, and this specific model especially so with its 'Mezger' engine and (almost) bulletproof reliability. It was extremely fast, sure-footed and confortable too; I still remember her fondly.
All the best
Stefano

Attachments

• Turbo-st-19.jpg
    Turbo-st-19.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 270
I owned one....just look at how cramped is the engine bay, it was a nightmare every time you had to access some mechanical part. One of the greatest cars ever, though, and this specific model especially so with its 'Mezger' engine and (almost) bulletproof reliability. It was extremely fast, sure-footed and confortable too; I still remember her fondly.
All the best
Stefano
I am very impressed with your smart garage ?...yes I wouldn’t have the standard 996 lots of issues that carried on into the 997 ....but the turbo different engine ...as you say virtually bullit proof can be tuned to silly numbers ...

I’m sure he won’t mind Matt another a2 owners car same colour ..the gt3 is naturally aspirated the gt2 is turboed .
3235F566-9AF7-42FF-8D1F-482A91D7CBAC.jpeg

Hello greywolfhound,
my 996TT was actually tuned (larger turbines, ECU etc) to nearly 500 bhp and it was obviously very fast, but the real greatness of this car was how easy it remained to drive if you needed to slow down and crawl in a traffic jam, for example. Aircon, heating, clutch, brakes everything was superb, something I couldn't say of my previous 993 4S, fascinating, but, frankly, antique. ?
The garage is not mine but it is the most luxurious I've ever found in a hotel, Interalpen-Hotel Tyrol near Innsbruck. Anna and I stay there quite often and there are always many Porsches there, rubbing shoulders with everything you can think of from Audi RS6s to Teslas and AMG C63s and other weird stuff. And GT2s and GT3s too, of course.
In a way I think that the A2a is based on a philosophy that is not dissimilar from the 911's, an unusual but very smart project, very refined, extremely well built, comfortable and nimble; the effort in saving weight while maintaining a high level of equipment and overal quality is the same, quite obviously, being both of them, in variable measure, the product of Ferdinand Piech's unequalled genius. Too bad the A2 was not allowed the time that would have been necessary for a proper evolution, as it happened for the 911.
Best
Stefano

Mine was a 993 2S, agreed that it wasn't the easiest of cars to drive, brakes had to be pressed hard to stop you, but it did stop well, clutch was pretty light after a new slave and master was fitted....but what a pretty car and lovely air cooled engine :)
993's need to be set up properly to handle well, mine was a pig until Centre Gravity sorted it!

Hello greywolfhound,
my 996TT was actually tuned (larger turbines, ECU etc) to nearly 500 bhp and it was obviously very fast, but the real greatness of this car was how easy it remained to drive if you needed to slow down and crawl in a traffic jam, for example. Aircon, heating, clutch, brakes everything was superb, something I couldn't say of my previous 993 4S, fascinating, but, frankly, antique. ?
The garage is not mine but it is the most luxurious I've ever found in a hotel, Interalpen-Hotel Tyrol near Innsbruck. Anna and I stay there quite often and there are always many Porsches there, rubbing shoulders with everything you can think of from Audi RS6s to Teslas and AMG C63s and other weird stuff. And GT2s and GT3s too, of course.
In a way I think that the A2a is based on a philosophy that is not dissimilar from the 911's, an unusual but very smart project, very refined, extremely well built, comfortable and nimble; the effort in saving weight while maintaining a high level of equipment and overal quality is the same, quite obviously, being both of them, in variable measure, the product of Ferdinand Piech's unequalled genius. Too bad the A2 was not allowed the time that would have been necessary for a proper evolution, as it happened for the 911.
Best
Stefano
Hello Stefano
Mine is of similar spec cam chain let go at 40k under Porsche warranty (very unusual) Porsche Bristol replaced new crate motor £32,000 ? at that stage it was fitted with hybrid turbos re map ..gt2 clutch and gt2 brakes all round miltek exhaust 100 cel cats ..new inter coolers and rads 508 bhp but more importantly over 700 lbs ft of torque and just 59k on the clock now ..it’s probably why I have hung onto it so long 6 years as nothing I’ve had before or tried since compares I did new Porsche / bilstein suspension build all round last year it’s a pampered pooch ...

Attachments

• 3A5C8187-3211-4F47-A851-1A9273CC8ED5.jpeg
    3A5C8187-3211-4F47-A851-1A9273CC8ED5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 226
  • 367B4272-F867-4436-BBB9-511464F42067.jpeg
    367B4272-F867-4436-BBB9-511464F42067.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Mine was a 993 2S, agreed that it wasn't the easiest of cars to drive, brakes had to be pressed hard to stop you, but it did stop well, clutch was pretty light after a new slave and master was fitted....but what a pretty car and lovely air cooled engine :)
993's need to be set up properly to handle well, mine was a pig until Centre Gravity sorted it!
Full geometry set up is critical on any 911 ..and it’s quite normal to have firm brake pedal pressing hard on mine and the performance friction discs really bite (they last a lot longer than Porsche’s own and much cheaper than ceramic ..

Many years ago I had a Citroen CX - the brake pedal was more like a large button on the floor and needed a very delicate touch, pressing it hard would stop the car instantly. Smooth ride, would be good now given all the potholes around.

There's one thing wrong with most of posts on this thread.........……….you're talking about 911's with the Devils work...…..H2O...……...
As an air cooled owner I find your posts highly offensive.........LOL LOL
Will an admin remove this thread PLEASE......….........LOL LOL
Only joking...……......

Hello Stefano
Mine is of similar spec cam chain let go at 40k under Porsche warranty (very unusual) Porsche Bristol replaced new crate motor £32,000 ? at that stage it was fitted with hybrid turbos re map ..gt2 clutch and gt2 brakes all round miltek exhaust 100 cel cats ..new inter coolers and rads 508 bhp but more importantly over 700 lbs ft of torque and just 59k on the clock now ..it’s probably why I have hung onto it so long 6 years as nothing I’ve had before or tried since compares I did new Porsche / bilstein suspension build all round last year it’s a pampered pooch ...
Sounds totally awesome....I'd lose my licence again! lost it on the first day I drove the 993!:oops::eek: made the Nationals!!

There's one thing wrong with most of posts on this thread.........……….you're talking about 911's with the Devils work...…..H2O...……...
As an air cooled owner I find your posts highly offensive.........LOL LOL
Will an admin remove this thread PLEASE......….........LOL LOL
Only joking...……......
I'm talking air cooled...only the best ;)?

Water and Elecricity……………......an evil mix...…...the Devils work.
…….. useful in certain circumstances.....not in proper 911's though
Not that some of us like it but I’m afraid petrol and diesel is doomed perhaps not completely in my lifetime but my grandkids will see them in museums....

Its going to take quite a jump in either battery development or hydrogen power cells before fossil fuels will be phased out...…...what will happen is that private car ownership will be taxed beyond most peoples pockets and public transport will become the norm...in some ways it shows how our fore fathers were years ahead of their time...….its only now we can see the folly of Dr Beaching and the loss of the smaller railway lines, how many could use them now for commuting, freight etc...
How many cities have brought back trams years after they were ripped up, if only someone had looked to the future and put public funds into a good transport infrastructure.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight even better.......

Back