Tragedy has struck... need advice on fixing my A2

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
I’ve been in love, er happily enjoying my 2nd A2 for some time now...

Was at a bbq about a month ago when the girlfriend and I decided to make a dash to shop in the village for supplies...

I let her drive so I could just run in grab needed items and dash out ...

She starts the car and didn’t have foot on clutch so it jumped forward ... I thought whoa, and before I could say it’s in gear press the clutch she cranks it again and it leaps forward and hits friends house...

The driver’s side front hit a corner of house wall edge so there is a line pressed into the car...

The good news is the cheap eBay battery is a monster and was worth the 50 quid... it’s got oomph!

Headlight looks like it can be easily replaced and I reckon the plastic front bits can be replaced too?

Maybe some new mounting thingies will be needed?

I’ll attach photos as they’ll describe damage better than I can... car drives fine so i guess it’s just cosmetic damage?

9E52C5F9-7AB3-452F-B4CC-4A9A733C747C.jpeg
F2433CE4-ED8D-4A69-9864-21359005E46C.jpeg
4E4DEFE7-4619-42CA-A0BD-4DDFC781AA83.jpeg
9E52C5F9-7AB3-452F-B4CC-4A9A733C747C.jpeg
F2433CE4-ED8D-4A69-9864-21359005E46C.jpeg
4E4DEFE7-4619-42CA-A0BD-4DDFC781AA83.jpeg

Some more questions... the protruding edge of bumper- is that the real end of the bumper or is the end of it broken off and hiding in the plastic inside the wheel well?

Some more questions... the protruding edge of bumper- is that the real end of the bumper or is the end of it broken off and hiding in the plastic inside the wheel well?
Ouch, sorry to see your damage, the straight piece of metal hanging out is the crash bar which it looks as if it just skimmed unfortunately, definetely a new/used bumper I’d say,
The rest should be ok but worth checking headlight alignment,
Cheers Jeff

Ouch, sorry to see your damage, the straight piece of metal hanging out is the crash bar which it looks as if it just skimmed unfortunately, definetely a new/used bumper I’d say,
The rest should be ok but worth checking headlight alignment,
Cheers Jeff

Thanks... is the plastic shell over the crash bar called the bumper?

New headlight, bumper and crash bar and you will be fine. I have all the parts although the bumper is blue not silver but any second hand bumper these days need a paint to be perfect.

New headlight, bumper and crash bar and you will be fine. I have all the parts although the bumper is blue not silver but any second hand bumper these days need a paint to be perfect.

Cool... are there any mounts or mounting bars etc for the plastic bits that I might need too? Or can I just bend them back into shape if needed?

I guess I could paint the plastic front bit matt black or that rubber plasti cote stuff so it looks cool if I can’t match the grey?

Does it look as if the end of the crash bar broke off? Or Did the brick edge of the house hit beyond the edge of the crash bar so that’s were the plastic split?

Thanks A2Steve, what would this cost? Would I need to pick the parts up because of the size of the plastic bumper?

Here is a photo of my A2 with the front bumper off...

1534264672824.jpeg

Based on where the impact is on your car, I'd suggest you'll dfinitely need a front crash bar, a front bumper and a headlight. If you're unlucky, you may also need a front fog light. If you're really unlucky, it's broken the little sticky-out bit of your front panel, as shown on the left of the photo below

1534265021398.jpeg

Cheers,

Tom

The panel gap between the door and the wing looks really tight, the wing may have been pushed back a little - worth a check.

Here is a photo of my A2 with the front bumper off...

View attachment 42622
Well tidy?
Based on where the impact is on your car, I'd suggest you'll dfinitely need a front crash bar, a front bumper and a headlight. If you're unlucky, you may also need a front fog light. If you're really unlucky, it's broken the little sticky-out bit of your front panel, as shown on the left of the photo below

View attachment 42623

Cheers,

Tom

so, should I remove the plastic shell thingy on the front to see what exactly has been damages?

I guess I start with taking the engine lid off and then tackle all the bolts around the edge of the engine compartment?

take the head light out first and make sure that the mountings for the head light and front wing are still intact, these are plastic, but part of the front panel and not replaceable without changing the entire front panel - not difficult to do, but there isa lot of stuff hung off the panel, and that needs care and time to remove to change from the front panel
I also think the wing will need relocating into its correct position.

Cheers,
Paul

If any of the front panel stuff is knackered as well as bumper, crash bar replacements, headlights etc, isn't Sarge dismantling a few intact cars at the moment? - you might be able to get bits you need at a fraction of commercial prices even if some aren't the exact colour.

Thanks A2Steve, what would this cost? Would I need to pick the parts up because of the size of the plastic bumper?

Hi, I would be able to post all of the parts to you.

The front bumper will be £40 (but Is in very good condition)
The crash bar would be £15
Headlight £15-35 depending on which one you want from me.
I can also supply a whole front panel for £35

so, should I remove the plastic shell thingy on the front to see what exactly has been damages?

I guess I start with taking the engine lid off and then tackle all the bolts around the edge of the engine compartment?

I would suggest you remove the bonnet, both headlights and the front bumper. This should give you a good idea of the amount of damage.

I'm really not trying to be critical but if you are unsure about which part is the bumper then you may be better off asking a mechanic to remove the panels for you.

The panel gap between the door and the wing looks really tight, the wing may have been pushed back a little - worth a check.
I agree, that looks too tight. These cars deform really easy unfortunately due to the aluminium. I had a car slowly backing into my front bumper in a traffic stock, so really slow. There where hardly any visible damage, but it turned out they had to replace AC condensor and direct (correct term?) the crash bar. I was surprised!

I would suggest you remove the bonnet, both headlights and the front bumper. This should give you a good idea of the amount of damage.

I'm really not trying to be critical but if you are unsure about which part is the bumper then you may be better off asking a mechanic to remove the panels for you.
Haven't we all been beginners at some point? Better to fiddle around and learn with this than start with airbag and brake problems ;)

I think it is a language barrier issue...

Back