Trim Strip, Between Roof Panel and Side Panel.

PlasticMac

United-Kingdom
I have what looks like lacquer peel on the trim strip (about 10mm wide, and length of the roof) that is fitted between the side panels and the roof. Does this strip come off for paint correction, or is it treated in situ?
Any hints or tips welcome.
Mac.

It does come off...open the boot and start to peel off upwards from the back of the car. Its much easier to paint when it's off ?

I wrote a guide for this.

I wrote a guide for this.

@Alan_uk
Thanks, I found it via Google, just before you replied. Much happier, thought I'd be into fiddly masking. Wedge is a good idea too.
Rattle can on the way!
Mac.

@Alan_uk
Thanks, I found it via Google, just before you replied. Much happier, thought I'd be into fiddly masking. Wedge is a good idea too.
Rattle can on the way!
Mac.
You're welcome Mac. Take it slowly with the wedge as it's not too warm. I think in the past some people have snapped their strips. :eek:

The geek in me discovered that these strips, up until around 2003, were made out of metal. Possibly due to cost savings the later ones were made out of plastic which could be more prone to snapping in the cold. The plastic ones for some reason are also more prone to lacquer peel.

? ? ?, when I had the roof on my 2004 white one wrapped, it was a warm day, the guy used a plastic wedge to start it off at the back and within a couple of inches he just took hold of it and peeled it out.

Good excuse to jump on the ferry (less than an hour away), and drive down to the South of France then ... hang on though, not allowed out till Spring, if we're lucky.
Will get the fan heater on in the garage
Mac.

i would use a soft toothbrush and thoroughly clean the sides of the strips on the channel before attempting removal. Fairly liquid and water might be good as it will ease the removal of the strips, which i have done previously and started from the rear as advised and also from the front too.

They should come out pretty easily using this method as mine did from memory ?

Good excuse to jump on the ferry (less than an hour away), and drive down to the South of France then ... hang on though, not allowed out till Spring, if we're lucky.
Doesn't this come under the category of work? Eurotunnel and the ferries are open!

RAB

Humour (?) aside, you'd have to go to the Mediterranean coast itself for any temperature benefit - the Isle of Skye is warmer in winter than most of France! Gulf Stream!

RAB

Humour (?) aside, you'd have to go to the Mediterranean coast itself for any temperature benefit - the Isle of Skye is warmer in winter than most of France! Gulf Stream!

RAB
@RAB
Aye, but no croissants on Skye.
Your humour was too subtle for me first thing, A slow burner ...
Mac.

Back