TT MFSW Retrofit

Skipton01

Admin Team
Well, after a little trial and a LOT of research, I finally have the new 2007 TT multifunction steering wheel working in Tank.

The roller buttons are very intuitive to use and the voice control over telephone functions are superb (the posh lady does have a few problems with my Northern accent though!!!).

The only thing left to sort out is the dimming of the buttons when the lights are on - at the moment, the dim switch has no effect on ANY of the interior switches - they're on full brightness all the time. It does dim the screen of the RNS-E though!

That is a very small niggle though - I'm pleased to have been able to integrate the A4 steering electronics control module into the A2 with such success - I did think that it may not work out due to the limited implementation of CAN in the A2.

Cheers,

Mike

Rather bizarrely, the dimming dial is now working for all instruments, including the wheel, even though the wire marked 'dim' is not connected!!!

Still, alls well that etc.

Cheers,

Mike

Guys.

What MFSW options physically fit the A2 - are any plug and play or do they all require another control module and CAN BUS trickery / butchery?

There is the original A2 MFSW like the one in my car :).

Unfortunately, if you don't have one already then it sounds like you also don't have the CANbus controller and a few other bits and pieces without which no MFSW will work. I was talking to Mike Skipton about it earlier and he was saying about £200 of parts alone are required over and above the MFSW itself. I am not sure if it is possible to straight swap an existing A2 MFSW for a newer TT one though. I suspect you might at least need a matching controller to go with it. I'm sure Mike will know the details.

However, if you are wanting to connect to an after-market head unit then I reckon it should be possible to bypass the CANbus section entirely. As long as the head unit is Sony, Panasonic or Alpine (the only ones I've seen documented) then a much cheaper solution should in theory be possible.

Pretty sure I have CAN BUS as I have the DIS display?

What doe the A2 MFSW look like? What other models will go on - really want to do this!

you need a relay control box, a wiring loom and the wheel itself. £200 would be the cheap version. The loom basically consists of the wiring through the collar and that needs a specific index, which is generally around half the costs. Then there's the wheel itself...

I doubt you'd see much change from £500.

Yes, I have looked into it in detail (I had a heated wheel in my hands for a while) and gave it up through lack of time.

I would not be surprised if this is something that also gets looked at closer with the new MoT regs - after all, there's a dual-setup airbag in these and there's at least one incident in Germany of a new 'bag failing to go off when it should have.....your call.

Bret

Last edited:

We've all got a CAN interface running through our cars, but you'd need a CAN unit specifically made to integrate with the steering wheel. If I understand correctly, if your A2 didn't leave the factory with a MFSW, it'll need the extra money spending on it beyond the cost of the new wheel.

Cheers,

Tom

part numbers for looking:
- new airbag + wheel
- cables 8z0971589J €18
- controller 4B0907487 F -> €207
- cable "holder" (needs calibration) - 1J0 959 654 AG €243

The prices I've just read from nininet, so they're up to date. Add probably 10-15% on for the UK "adjustment".

Bret

Thanks Bret :cool:

There is a little bracket for the controller also, only a couple of quid though.

Fingers crossed I'll have another collection of bits soon...that'll take me months to get fitted ;):eek::(

What doe the A2 MFSW look like? What other models will go on - really want to do this!
As noted by others, there are lots of bits to CANbus. The MFSW interface is basically something along the lines of:
buttons -> LIN bus interface -> wiring loom from steering wheel to dash -> CAN bus interface -> CAN bus in main wiring loom​

Up to the LIN bus bit is part of the wheel itself (I think), the wiring loom and the LIN -> CAN adapter are extra and will not be fitted to any car that did not come with an MFSW from the factory.

As for mine, it looks pretty much like the standard four spoke but with three buttons on each side of the horn/airbag center piece. The left hand side has up/down and left arrows, the right hand has volume up/down and a right arrow. The up/down buttons are used for seeking on the radio, the left/right buttons for selecting preset stations. I haven't tried with a CD yet and I don't have the navigation or telephony systems fitted so can't tell you what they do with those.

part numbers for looking:
- new airbag + wheel
- cables 8z0971589J €18
- controller 4B0907487 F -> €207
- cable "holder" (needs calibration) - 1J0 959 654 AG €243

The prices I've just read from nininet, so they're up to date. Add probably 10-15% on for the UK "adjustment".

Bret
Evening Bret,

Hope you’re well. I agree that this is some thread resurrection but as its about part numbers I guess it’s not out of date. I too am now looking to find the items required to get @timmus to retrofit a MFSW once we can meet up.

I have used the part numbers you mentioned 10 years ago and the price seems to have improved over time. There are plenty available on the usual auction site both here in the UK and with you in Germany.

Can I ask if the items you mention are for retrofitting the standard type MFSW or will they work for the A1/TT thumb roller type steering wheel. If not then are you able to give an update to date list of part numbers required for this retrofit.

Kind regards,

Tom

Hi Tom,

This is for the retrofit of a standard A2 MFSW. If you want the new style MFSW, you don' t need the mfsw relay because it will be replaced by an A3 mfsw control module, pn 8P0953549F IIRC . @timmus might correct me if I'm wrong. I believe he's using the partnumber of an A4. Further more you need an single stage round airbag of an A3 8V 2013, pn 8V0880201 with the corresponding MFSW cable ( seperate pn). MFSW of your choice, flatbottom or round. Preferably with the multifunction mode button on the lefthand side. If not, than that has to be retrofitted at additional cost. Has to do with the lin communication, lin 1.2 vs lin 1.3 and up. You need the linbus 1.2 and mode button means linbus 1.2?.

Simplified;
1. From MFSW you have to adjust the airbag connector of the new wheel to accomodate your SW springmodule behind the wheel.
2. Manufacture a bit of wiring loom from behind the SW spring module to the MFSW control module.
3. Manufacture a bit of wiring loom from MFSW CM to Canbus in your instrumentcluster.
4. The appropriate coding in vcds for radio/ nav etc.

The only dodgy thing to do is to connect the wiring looms to the MFSW CM. You can either use modified connectors or hard wire them to the printboard directly.

That is it!

Hope this helps?

Morning Duncan,

Thank you very much indeed for response. Just the sort of response I was hoping for. A shopping list of part numbers to get me started. I’ll certainly get @timmus to retrofit this, there is not rush so if I can source everything slowly and cheaply over time that would be great.

I have read up and fully understand that a single stage airbag is required. The part number is very useful and I will have a search.

Obtaining a steering wheel with the Mode Button is also very useful and will keep a look out on the usual auction website.

You make it sound so very easy.

Kind regards,

Tom

I have a steering wheel in my garage with the correct buttons, just needs a suitable airbag...
Evening Jeremy,

Ive already had a quote from Tom to supply and fit this option when we can mingle again. Please do add pictures and a price to your garaged item.

Kind regards,

Tom

Back