Type Approved Exhaust or Non-Type Approved - differences?

Verbdog

A2OC Donor
I can get a Non-type approved for £100 less than a type approved.

So far I understand that any vehicle registered after 02/2001 must have a type approved to be legal and that the cost difference is due to the increase in precious metals used.

Does anyone know:

1. The sellers say it fits the 32 litre fuel tank versions - would this affect the routing of the exhaust?

2. For the same engine (1.4 petrol in this case) would the emissions be different? How would the tester know type approved or not?

Seems a shame to not at least try to see if I can get away with saving £100.

Yes, the exhaust follow s slightly different route depending on the tank size you have.
The testers are more concerned about the emissions than type approval.
How many testers do you know,for example, that will take the bulbs out of the headkamps to check that they are the correct wattage and type?

steve B

I was suspicious that they were just trying to ensure it went to the right car, perhaps the smaller tanks were only for early productions. I can't see the routing deviating until after the cat as it is all in the central recess, if so it not a tough job to cut and join with a section from the later pipe.

Regards emissions I am struggling to see as you point out. Would the early models have more relaxed levels to meet due to the lesser quantity of precious metals, wouldn't have thought so.

The larger tank was only fitted to A2s some time from 2003 onwards (I am not sure of the exact date and it depends on when the car was built, not when it was first registered) I also believe that the change in routing of the pipe work was only towards the rear near the tank. Up to that point (near the tank) the routing should be the same.

I can't comment on the emissions point I am afraid.
I am not sure enough of the facts.

Steve B

Last edited:
Fallen posted a reply with some info on it and he has now deleted that info to save confusion.

It it is always good to see people that are prepared to correct themselves where necessary. (Thanks Fallan)

Steve B

I fitted Remus silencer and pipes to 1.6 FSI. There was no place to find if it would fit 1.6 FSI, all I could find was that it was made for Projekt Zwo as the part of their kit for 1.4 and 1.4 TDI.
I did the measuring myself, compared sizes of both silencers, pipe angles, the original Audi silencer and Remus.
I don't think the larger fuel tank is a problem, I believe the producers have not tested their kits on 1.6 FSI, nothing else.

The car passed EU control without a problem, nothing to worry about the emission, I think Remus silencer was stamped E4.

Back