Tyre Pressures for 17" Wheels

mjsbrabus

A2OC Donor
Just bought an SE but with 17" QT alloys on it. The tyre size is 215/40/17 87W.

I don't have tyre pressures on the fuel flap as the car was not manufactured with the 17" alloys but I am guessing this wheel and tyre size is the same as later Sport wheels?

So can someone please advise the normal and heavy load recommended tyre pressures for this combination?

Mike

I have the same wheels and tyre size on my A2 and find that the manufacturer "recommended" tyre pressures tend to be too low for my liking. I find for an even tyre wear across the tyre, so that the tyre edges do not wear too rapidly, and for a better driving "feel" I have to pump up the front to 34-36 and rear to 32-34 Psi to suit me.
I am sure that it does not help with the "rough" ride that these cars and wheels are notorious for but that's just something you have to get used to with an A2 with 17" wheels.

2.4/2.7 bar were recommended by Nokian for this size. I'd play with it, mind, because it makes a big difference in handling.

- Bret

Thanks. From the answers above people seem to see what works best for them.

Reference the hard ride on 17" wheels I disliked that so much on the Sport I owned previously that I put 16" SE wheels on. I know it is subjective but the SE with 17" wheels seems a lot softer.

Be careful inflating to above the Audi figure - if you're in an accident involving loss of grip insurers could quite justifiably say that, with less rubber on the road, you're at fault.

Thanks. From the answers above people seem to see what works best for them.

Reference the hard ride on 17" wheels I disliked that so much on the Sport I owned previously that I put 16" SE wheels on. I know it is subjective but the SE with 17" wheels seems a lot softer.
I put 17" wheels on and found only minimal difference over 16" SE wheels - tyre related perhaps? I'm running Vredesteins.

I checked these this afternoon. Seems that the previous owner was running them at about 2 bar (29 PSI) - albeit the nearside rear was at 21 PSI so must have a slow puncture / leaking valve I guess.

As for the tyres themselves - they are marked 'EVENT' and WL905 - and carry the very un-reassuring words 'Made in China'. So I think we can safely assume the words 'budget' / 'cheap' and possibly 'crap' ………….

I checked these this afternoon. Seems that the previous owner was running them at about 2 bar (29 PSI) - albeit the nearside rear was at 21 PSI so must have a slow puncture / leaking valve I guess.

As for the tyres themselves - they are marked 'EVENT' and WL905 - and carry the very un-reassuring words 'Made in China'. So I think we can safely assume the words 'budget' / 'cheap' and possibly 'crap' ………….

I guess so.

The top review on http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Event/WL905.htm

One tyre that is a death trap in the wet. I have no confidence in damp or fully wet conditions. There is low grip even at normal driving speeds in the wet, anything faster and it's an accident waiting to happen.

2.1 bar front, 2.0 bar rear, is what AUDI, recommends,

John
that's a moot point, it's not in the fuel flap for early models, it has been stated to say "1.9 / 2.0" and it's been discussed at length. Here's a thread from 2007 (!) which talks about serious high-speed stability (one complains about stability at 180-190km/h): https://a2-freun.de/forum/forums/topic/73-luftdruck-17/
Horses for courses, though running less than 2 is not recommended by anyone, and most seem to have hit a sweet spot between 2.2 and 2.4.

In the Nokian case: We specifically asked the tyre manufacturer for a recommendation and got one. I ended up running at 2.2 / 2.4 IIRC, though it's been a long time since 17s.

- Bret

Well that tyre review is really shouting 'get those tyres off as soon as possible and drive with extreme caution until then............'

It is depressing to think that we have (supposedly) quality standards for all these automotive components and yet rubbish like this is sold in huge quantities in this country.

Based on those user reviews I most certainly will not be over inflating these!!!!!!!!

I think it goes back to the old saying in that you pay for what you get...Events are certainly a budget brand.

Thinking about it I actually had some front wheelspin when I turned up a slight incline into the local Tesco superstore the other day!!! I thought at the time it was strange and put it down to me not being used to the clutch. Now I suspect it was just these 'zero grip' tyres.

So just to be clear, when I replace these, the tyre size should really be 205 and not 215 as these are.

What about the speed rating on the Sport 17 inch tyres. Is 87W correct or should it be something else?

Thanks.

Mike

Thanks.

This is a rather strange Audi A2 'option' alloy which I am told is a 'QT'. Never seen them before.

Shown below with the offending tyre.

P1050525.JPG

Thanks again.

Yes I thought that the Toyo tyres looked a good option in terms of price / performance.

Not sure how this car ended up with those wheels. From the build codes is was supplied new with 16" wheels. It looks like it was a demonstrator car for Rybridge Audi of Wolverhampton for a few months - so maybe they retrofitted them for kerb appeal?

I thought they were an aftermarket wheel at first and a bit OTT - but I am growing to like them. Just need to get some safe rubber fitted to them!! The reviews of these Event tyres are horrendous.

Hello
I have TT Comp on my A2 with Dunlop 215/40/17. This are the best tires I could find (Noise, Grip in wet weather, Fuel comsuption).
I have a rough ride but it is mainly due to the lowering of 25mm.
I have complete confidence in the tires. I drive about 170 miles a day, whatever the speed or the weather I have not had issues since I got them.
I have had a lot of slipping wheels with the 16" Original Wheels, on launch from the traffic lights.
I have the tires inflated at 2.4 Bars but this is up to your taste. But don't over or under inflate! Under-inflate and the steering becomes heavier and you will use more petrol. Over-inflate and you won't get correct grip, this would be quite bad with the bad weather coming.
Hope this is helping.

Back