Tyre size choice help please.

Birdfish

Hi Guy's,

I have 185/55/16 Falken tyres on my car just now and would like to put on 195/55/16 tyres, is this possible without rubbing?

The last owner put on Audi TT 16" wheels by the look and I'd guess the J size is not a problem. I've found that 195 tyres seem to be better priced for some reason and more choice? Anyway if anyone can help that would be good.

So you know... I've replaced all the struts and springs 1.5 years ago so the car sits well.

BTW - HAPPY HEALTHY PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE, hope it's your best ever! :)

Cheers

Doug

I have 195/50/16 on the 16" TT alloys and I only get rubbing on one very sharp bend locally, if I go in too hot and have to brake or come off the throttle. That could be weak springs (the original OEM) as much as a size problem on the wheels/tyres. I get nothing on full lock or over bumps, and that's with mudflaps on. The inset/offset and sidewall height on my setup really aren't that much different from standard. But with 195/55/16 you're going to have an extra 9-10mm on the sidewall height all round, I imagine they'd be slightly more prone to rubbing than my 195/50 on hard corners, but still nothing on full lock.

Last edited:
195/55R16 are a full 5% bigger than reference (which is 175/60R15). 195/45R16 is the correct 16" size. The 50 ratio ones are still too big but only just; if there's difficulties there, you will most certainly see them with the bigger tyres.

Edit says something slightly different: 215/40R17 are the same size. I've used those myself without issues. You therefore probably could, but I'd be very wary of rubbing. Double-check the ETs to make sure they're not pushed too far in. ET38 on a 6J rim is probably good.
Personally, I'd go for the 195/45 on 16s on a 6.5 or 7J rim. A 6J will mean more squidge as the sidewalls won't be held as straight by the rim itself.

- Bret

Last edited:
195/55R16 are a full 5% bigger than reference (which is 175/60R15). 195/45R16 is the correct 16" size. The 50 ratio ones are still too big but only just; if there's difficulties there, you will most certainly see them with the bigger tyres.

Edit says something slightly different: 215/40R17 are the same size. I've used those myself without issues. You therefore probably could, but I'd be very wary of rubbing. Double-check the ETs to make sure they're not pushed too far in. ET38 on a 6J rim is probably good.
Personally, I'd go for the 195/45 on 16s on a 6.5 or 7J rim. A 6J will mean more squidge as the sidewalls won't be held as straight by the rim itself.

- Bret

Hi Bret,

thank you for that good information, I will heed your advice and do a search based on your recommendation and see what prices are out there.

All the best

Doug

195/55/16 on standard SE alloys is fine on non-sport suspension, but these probably have slightly different offset to yours.

I have TT 16s with 205/55 on them and they rub. Big bumps and more than me in the car = a scrub from the rear. Also catch on full lock at the front. It’s not too bad and it’ll be fine for a few months but it’s not a long term workable size.

195/55 would be 5.5mm smaller radius and a bit narrower. Might be enough - let me know! Plenty on here run on 205/50s on TT 16s with no trouble - that’s another 5.5mm less height but the same width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank's Guy's,

there seems to be a lot of choice with tyre sizes going by what you all have on your cars. A friend that repairs sports cars says I should fit 205-45-16 on the car for the best of all worlds, but I want a softer ride for all the ruddy potholes up here.

It's a difficult one though, the car body sits really high on the new suspension with 185-55, I do think my car could easily take 195-55-16 but guess it may foul on corners when four passengers or heavy weight I sometimes have to carry, anyway think I'll see if I can get a couple of old test tyres from my local garage and try them on before I decide on the final ones.

So you know, when I bought the car the guy had put new 205-55-16s on it and they rubbed the splash guards right through after 1000 miles, I also think that the soft suspension didn't help either, I wen't back to 185-50-16 that were much better and I sold the 205s, after that the current 185-55-16 ones seemed much better, I'm just exploring my options here.

Thanks & cheers

Doug

Hi! I have 205/50/16 on my TT 7J wheels and no rub.

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 401
Hi! I have 205/50/16 on my TT 7J wheels and no rub.

I have those wheels on my car, that's interesting to know that 205-50-16 don't rub.

I compared a 185 55 16 tyre next to a 195 50 16 and there is a good difference in height, the only reason for having a higher profile is the terrible road surfaces here in central Scotland - bloody joke actually!

How can you have ruddy great set potholes on a newly laid M74 road at Hamilton - AMEY roads should be shot for their shoddy workmanship and materials being used. Rant over!

Ps; I like how you've painted the hub caps Black, very nice!

Doug

I run mine on Pepperpots mainly because of the appalling state of the roads! This is not necessarily from choice because the cars do look better on the larger diameter rims. I run 195/55/15 tyres

I have those wheels on my car, that's interesting to know that 205-50-16 don't rub.

I compared a 185 55 16 tyre next to a 195 50 16 and there is a good difference in height, the only reason for having a higher profile is the terrible road surfaces here in central Scotland - bloody joke actually!

How can you have ruddy great set potholes on a newly laid M74 road at Hamilton - AMEY roads should be shot for their shoddy workmanship and materials being used. Rant over!

Ps; I like how you've painted the hub caps Black, very nice!

Doug
I tried 205/55/16 and there was a bit of rub on the front arches. I can assure you I did not feel any difference on comfort from 55 to 50, but again I do not know the roads in Scotland ;-)

Hi Guy's,

update on final tyre choice, I bought 195/50/16 Aoteli tyres for £131 + £40 balance and fit, got to say so far they are extremely good.

Money's tight this time of year and I'm fed up paying silly money for tyres.

Tyres from: eba.y_tyre-store £130.95 total.

Low noise, very grippy wet & dry, fantastic bump absorption, in fact I'd go as far to say they have transformed my car and it feels the best it's ever done.

The last tyres were Falken type that I normally rate, before that Goodyear, but they don't come close to these, I hate to repeat myself but it's a massive difference in the way the car feels with these on.

Thank for all your help!

Cheers

Doug

Hi Guy's,

I have 185/55/16 Falken tyres on my car just now and would like to put on 195/55/16 tyres, is this possible without rubbing?

The last owner put on Audi TT 16" wheels by the look and I'd guess the J size is not a problem. I've found that 195 tyres seem to be better priced for some reason and more choice? Anyway if anyone can help that would be good.

So you know... I've replaced all the struts and springs 1.5 years ago so the car sits well.

BTW - HAPPY HEALTHY PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE, hope it's your best ever! :)

Cheers

Doug

I am running 195/50/16 and works fine

Back