Unswitched 12 Volts, Required.

PlasticMac

United-Kingdom
Hi,
Looking to fit a USB converter, in the dash area, using an unswitched (ie permanent) 12 volt supply. I'm sure I've seen mention of a wire, white I think, maybe below the trim around the gear lever ... I've tried searching both here and on Google, but no hits. Anyone help please? Mac.

I tapped from the cigarette lighter fuse (fuse 12 I think) using a piggyback fuse holder for my dash cam

Dashcam; should be possible to branch off switched 12V from the internal light cluster?
It is, I'm just about to do this again on the new 90. Power on with ignition and off soon after key is removed, saves having to remember to plug it in and stops battery drain(not nice returning from holiday to find the battery flat).

Yes; I also purchased a tiny 12 to 5V stepdown converter as the dashcam originally is powered from a USB. With this I can make the dashcam installation completely hidden

It is, I'm just about to do this again on the new 90. Power on with ignition and off soon after key is removed, saves having to remember to plug it in and stops battery drain(not nice returning from holiday to find the battery flat).
That is something I really need to do, would you be kind enough to explain how you do this? With a couple of photos on the installation.

That is something I really need to do, would you be kind enough to explain how you do this? With a couple of photos on the installation.
Remove light fitting, connect to red for 12v, brown for ground. I stripped a short section of these wires then twisted and soldered the additional wires. I've fitted an accessory socket (centre pin is 12v) and used the USB adapter that came with my dashcam. It doesn't look great though has been working in all three cars I've done this with.
IMG_20190917_190345.jpg
IMG_20190917_190409.jpg
IMG_20190917_190426.jpg

Dashcam powers up when the car is unlocked and switches off soon after car is locked. USB cable is 30cm ish, easily routed between headlining and windscreen.

Good find Ed, I can use that on the front and back camera but I will need two with the mini usb connection for the mobius cameras.

Good find Ed, I can use that on the front and back camera but I will need two with the mini usb connection for the mobius cameras.

Like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great share - I’m tempted to use this method with the tiny Garmin dash cam mini that only needs USB power.

Presumably the same method is possible by piggybacking off the rear interior light?

Thanks

I'm about to attempt this mod for my dashcam because i'm sick of trying to hide this bloody USB cable. This might sound stupid but can you describe whats at the end of the black and red cables in olerypes picture? I have the wago connectors and a spare 12v cigarette adapter that has wires like damageruk's just need to know whats at the end of the black/red cables olerype? and do i need to put an inline fuse if i try the damageruk's approach?

Update: It's ok i've managed to get this mod done but at the expense of my sunroof not working!

cheers

Last edited:
Back