Updated Advertising Rules

A2OC

Hello,

In the spirit of fairness to all of our members who provide services and supplies, the club has updated its advertising rules. These are available here:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/faq.php?faq=a2oc#faq_advertising

Please note that these changes may affect some of the signatures of our existing members. If this affects you, we would ask that you adjust your signature accordingly. We will review again within a week.

Many thanks,

The A2OC

Thank you and goodbye.

James

Sadly you are not the only member that feels this way James - pity!

Not quite sure what Birchall "likes" about your post but it will be quite sad if this "like" is due to your unhappiness, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

blue skies
tony

No doubt Birchall 'liked' the fact that James had read the updated rules and responded accordingly.

Cheers Spike

Sadly you are not the only member that feels this way James - pity!

Not quite sure what Birchall "likes" about your post but it will be quite sad if this "like" is due to your unhappiness, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

blue skies
tony

Tony,

that is completely unacceptable. I liked the fact that James corrected his signature.
If you didn't know why I liked it why assume the worst????

that is not the way I work and you know it. I am as fair and helpful as anyone can be.

What else could I be liking on that post????
I am sure that James is not leaving? Why would anyone leave just because they don't agree with the rules.

James and I get on well, or at least I thought we did.

I find your assumption baffling in the very least.

Sad to see bickering like this over basic and logical rules.

Steve B

It's not just the advertising rules. It's the back handed attempt to control people with "infractions" for text speak or commenting on items for sale etc. Soon you'll get infractions for speling mistakes (sic).

James

Ps. Yes I was offended by the "like" for my goodbye.

Have just read the advertising rules and thought to myself 'am I missing something here'
They seem pretty fair to me particularly as its a free service and very targeted
Regards to all, Colin

Thank you for that input, I am glad that these are seen to be fair.

Another thing that we have tried to make fairer recently is the removal of fees for advertising cars / parts for sale in the "marketplace".

We felt that someone selling an item worth a couple of pounds should not have to donate £10 to do so.

Not only that but to me and the team at least, a donation should be just that, voluntary. So we have revised the rules on placing for sale and wanted adverts, you merely have to have been reasonably active on the site (making 10 posts at least) and you can advertise your parts or cars without having to donate.

I hope this does not upset members who may have recently donated to advertise, we had to switch at some stage and so this could not be avoided.

This also helps us in other ways, for instance, if someone posts a "Wanted" advert and someone has that item, it would seem silly for that person to not be able to post "Yes I have one" simply because they have not donated.

We are planning other improvements like this so please keep your eyes peeled for some upcoming announcements that should help this great club retain its friendly and helpful atmosphere and provide our members with a great club / forum.

Steve B

Last edited:
James,

I think it would be a shame to lose you as a member of such a great club.

And, though I can imagine it would be difficult to remove something from your signature that promotes someone doing great work on your car, it's not something to leave the community over. I mean I often thought of putting the guys who look after the car for me in my signature, but something just didn't sit right with me promoting their business. If people ask, I'm happy to tell, but in a way I do think it is best that signatures from members don't include that kind of information. Each to their own I guess.

Anyway, you've been a great member as far as my interactions with you are concerned, so maybe lets just all sit back and think of *that summer holiday I'm going on! (*replace with whatever floats your boat)

It's not just the advertising rules. It's the back handed attempt to control people with "infractions" for text speak or commenting on items for sale etc. Soon you'll get infractions for speling mistakes (sic).

James

James

James,

I am SHOCKED, I am on holiday and while in the restaurant I saw that you had modified your signature as requested. so I thanked you (using the like option while at the table). What on earth would make you think that I would like you saying goodbye? I couldn't believe that you were actually serious over something a small as this?

As for the so called "Back-handed" comment, do you think that you have been singled out or something?

You KNOW that there are several people on here (team members and others) that do not like text speak. I personally don't mind it within reason, but the rules are there stating that it is not acceptable. So how is enforcing that rule "back-handed"??????

As for commenting on cars for sale (or items) I stand by those comments that were made. If a member advertises something on here and has paid a fee to do so, it seems wrong for people to state that something is overpriced or stronger still.

So being asked to consider the effect of someone valuing their car or part too high, then that is their right. There is no harm done by asking too much for something, the item simply doesn't sell. But by posting comments that someones car (or parts) are too expensive is an opinion that you have a right to make but not in a way that damages that persons chance of selling? A PM to the seller is fair enough.
And before people claim the "Free speech" logic, free speech comes with responsibilities to not abuse that right.

For example (a bad one ok I admit it but) If you think someone is ugly, is it free speech to say so on social media and the effect on that person is OK? because it is free speech? In some ways it is similar when someone posts on a for sale thread to say "That is overpriced".
If the reason for saying it was to help the seller have a better chance of selling, them PM the seller and help them. But to post it on their for sale thread is not on.

But having said all of that, these are small issues surely? I would hope that instead of kicking back at the rules you try and understand why they are there, or try to get them changed (as I do) instead of calling it a "back handed attempt to control people" the rules are there for all to see and so why is it back-handed? Please reconsider and try to understand the motives of the team rather than taking them personally?

Can you please accept this as a virtual handshake and lets see how things pan out in the comming weeks / months?

Steve B

Last edited:

James

i also agree with james on this and i dont want to sound hypocritical but i too suffer at times with bad grammar and punctuation due to laziness :/ do i think it should be punishable....NO. i understand there has to be a line drawn somewhere and i must admit i dont like reading text speak unless its a mobile text however, smartphones correct most of these text speaks anyways.

maybe the forum could adapt a similar system to correct text speak when typing, much like auto spelling mistakes or is this an impossible task?

cammy

i also agree with james on this and i dont want to sound hypocritical but i too suffer at times with bad grammar and punctuation due to laziness :/ do i think it should be punishable....NO. i understand there has to be a line drawn somewhere and i must admit i dont like reading text speak unless its a mobile text however, smartphones correct most of these text speaks anyways.

maybe the forum could adapt a similar system to correct text speak when typing, much like auto spelling mistakes or is this an impossible task?

cammy
Hi Cammy,

When it comes to spelling mistakes and predictive text errors I am the worst culprit.

But since when has anyone had a complaint against them for typo errors????

You admit to not liking to read text speak and you are not alone, so there is a rule about it, that is understandable I hope.

I am sorry but while the rules are there it is NOT wrong for them to be applied.

We use "Moderate light" as a method of appying rules here, we want people to feel that they are not being watched by "Big Brother", but at the same time we have moderators whose job it is to keep the forum friendly and up to a very basic standard for all to enjoy.

If you can point out one post where the person posting it was "told off" (for want of a better word) for spelling mistakes, then please let me know. But I have never seen any example of that on this forum. If you are right and someone has been pulled up over their spelling I will personally make sure that it does not happen again, providing it is a genuine case of poor spelling and not someone not bothering to do a basic check.

As I say, I am the worst person on here for typos and spelling issues, so I definitely don't want people to feel that they have to be English Professors and the like just to chat on an open forum.

Text speak is different, there ARE rules about that. But spelling accidents are different and cannot be helped.

Steve B

The text speak rule has always been there. Its only the signiture rule that has changed. I don't understand why it has but then I'm not a moderator and don't have to deal with any backlash behind the scenes, so I assume it's been done for good reason.

Whatever the rules and whether they are harsh or not, this club is a great place to be a member of and let's not lose that.

cammy

Yeah but it's very moderator light here - whilst it might be a 'rule' I think somebody would have to reply totally with text speak before it would be picked up and their card marked.

James - you would be big loss to the forum and club in my opinion so please don't do anything hasty.

Simon.

Thank you and goodbye.

James

I agree James.

I think unfortunately this fun forum with the opportunity to help people out, recommend good workmanship and share enthusiasm for our little cars has changed into pettiness.

The new rules allows you to announce if you had work done by an individual but not a company/business ?

It does come down to freedom of speech unfortunately. As long as no harm is done, what's the harm in announcing who you trust your baby with? Business or individual?

Feels like dictatorship to me... But hey ho. I'm here mostly for the socials to share my enthusiasm with fellow A2 lovers.

The new rules allows you to announce if you had work done by an individual but not a company/business ?

It does come down to freedom of speech unfortunately. As long as no harm is done, what's the harm in announcing who you trust your baby with? Business or individual?

Feels like dictatorship to me... But hey ho. I'm here mostly for the socials to share my enthusiasm with fellow A2 lovers.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. I thought you're just not allowed to post who did your work in your signature?

And don't we have an entirely separate section of the forum that allows you to rate dealers? There's even a whole thread dedicated to A2 Cars Feedback.

If someone likes the work that has been done to a particular car, then surely they'll just pm to ask for a recommendation?

I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. I thought you're just not allowed to post who did your work in your signature?

And don't we have an entirely separate section of the forum that allows you to rate dealers? There's even a whole thread dedicated to A2 Cars Feedback.

If someone likes the work that has been done to a particular car, then surely they'll just pm to ask for a recommendation?

Rules state you not allowed to advertise a business in your signature but you can 'discreetly' mention if work has been done by individuals.

Is there something in the air today....

I really dont understand any of this but surly when you post up a thread about your own A2 with photos and discribe all the work that has been done in your thread, you mention there who done the work and praise said person , company who did the work for everyone to see

Back