URGENT HELP NEEDED - Fuel cap cover release

Kyle2907

Hi, can anyone help?
This morning I went to fill up with petrol and the fuel cap cover wouldn't release using the button located just inside the drivers door. The reserve light has only just come on but I need to fill up.
Is there anyway that I can open/release the cover without having to use the button? There is no movement in the button and I don't want to be too forceful and do more harm. Not sure if it is relevant but I can remove the button and access behind/underneath it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hi there - inside the boot space is a cover which you can prise off . You then have access to the mechanism which you can pull with your fingers manually

Cheers Dave

Did you ever fix this issue or are you still using the through the boot method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the switch to see if it illuminates when you open driver's door with ignition on.If it doesn't illuminate it could possibly be a faulty connection from the driver's door lock.This is a very common problem

To add to the above comments. Yes the fuel flap release switch just pops out the pillar trim. When you remove it tie some string around the wiring to stop it dropping down the inside of the trim. Before you change the switch check the following. Does the switch click when you press it. Does the interior light come on when you open the drivers door. Do you have door open on DIS. With the engine off and door open do the 2 switches on the pillar illuminate. If no to the questions then it is the door open microswitch that has failed. Very unusual for the solenoid in the rear wing to fail more likely the arm has come off between the solenoid and the flap release.

Check the switch to see if it illuminates when you open driver's door with ignition on.If it doesn't illuminate it could possibly be a faulty connection from the driver's door lock.This is a very common problem
[/QUOTE
To add to the above comments. Yes the fuel flap release switch just pops out the pillar trim. When you remove it tie some string around the wiring to stop it dropping down the inside of the trim. Before you change the switch check the following. Does the switch click when you press it. Does the interior light come on when you open the drivers door. Do you have door open on DIS. With the engine off and door open do the 2 switches on the pillar illuminate. If no to the questions then it is the door open microswitch that has failed. Very unusual for the solenoid in the rear wing to fail more likely the arm has come off between the solenoid and the flap release.
Hi, yes the light comes on and when just open the door it comes on sometimes, but only like 3 out of 10 times.

Door open microswitch either failing of full of grease and crap. Try cleaning it while still fitted. Get a large spray can of WD40. open the door and look at the door lock mechanism on the rear face of the door. Below the bottom of the latch lives the door open microswitch. Using a screwdriver lock the latch as if the door was closed. Now using the straw on the can spray under the latch in bursts of 5 seconds. After a couple of bursts unlock the door by using either door handle. Now spray again as before a couple of times, then lock the latch and repeat the process another 3 times. By now you will have a large puddle of WD40 draining out the bottom of you door and spray around the lock. Clean off excess, then open and close the door a few times. Now see if interior lights , switch illumination and importantly flap release works. Unfortunately if this does not cure it you will have to take the complete lock mechanism out and either replace just the microswitch or replace the whole assembly.

Door open microswitch either failing of full of grease and crap. Try cleaning it while still fitted. Get a large spray can of WD40. open the door and look at the door lock mechanism on the rear face of the door. Below the bottom of the latch lives the door open microswitch. Using a screwdriver lock the latch as if the door was closed. Now using the straw on the can spray under the latch in bursts of 5 seconds. After a couple of bursts unlock the door by using either door handle. Now spray again as before a couple of times, then lock the latch and repeat the process another 3 times. By now you will have a large puddle of WD40 draining out the bottom of you door and spray around the lock. Clean off excess, then open and close the door a few times. Now see if interior lights , switch illumination and importantly flap release works. Unfortunately if this does not cure it you will have to take the complete lock mechanism out and either replace just the microswitch or replace the whole assembly.
I'm gonna try that tomorrow, fingers cross that will work, as I'm in the middle of fixing the EGR as well and would be great if didn't have to spend on this too, cheers

Mine has also started messing me about intermittently,I've just been and had a play and found that with the drivers door open if I operate the central locking a couple of times it works,I'll clean the microswitch as audifan suggests.

Apart from the age of the microswitches the problem starts with either owners or garages being too liberal when lubricating the locks and hinges. Add the wrong grease or oil and it will attract all sorts of rubbish that will work its way below the latch and end up in the cam / switch area. The now abrasive gunge can wear the small button off the switch or let moisture into the switch both bad news. You would not believe the "lubricants" I have seen in locks, everything from Copaslip to Vaseline........White lithium grease is used by Audi although I prefer to use a graphite based lubricant that dries to a thin film that does not attract any dust etc. It is well worth treating all four doors and the tailgate after you clean out as much old lubricant as possible with liberal spraying of WD40, as they all contain switches for interior lights etc. But unfortunately if the switch has gone then its a door strip and either just the microswitch or the whole lock will need replacing. Also note the dry solder problem is on the internal microswitches in the lock not the external door open microswitch.

Back